Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea?

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #81  
When I heard that the Titan sub, the one that just imploded, had a hatch that could only be opened from the outside, I couldn't believe that anybody would even get into the damn thing. Before it was determined that it had imploded I kept thinking about how the sub could be at the surface but lost to the rescue crews. And the people inside unable to open the hatch. And so they suffocated. While looking at the sky. So no thanks, I can no longer handle confined spaces.
Eric
I wondered about that as well per the hatch.

The only thing I can think of was it wasn't a hatch in the traditional sense that would swing open, and that it was actually just an access point into the submersible. For whatever reason, they must have determined that it gave the structure a stronger depth rating (just a WAG on my end). I know nothing about smaller deep diving submersibles, but with the water pressure at any great depth, I can't see the hatch being opened from the inside even you wanted to open it.

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #82  
I said NO to both. These are my reasons---
- fear
- cost of the trip
- cost for my share of the potential recovery efforts
Your share of the cost will be the same as that to every other US taxpayer.

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #83  
He!! No!!!!! Technology needs to improve considerably before even considering the possibility.

My equilibrium isn't the best. So I would be prone to motion sickness.

I also have belly issues...... so..... everyone around me would probably be miserable and trying to figure out how to shove me out an air lock

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #84  
See the carbon hull being formed and assembled:

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #85  
He!! No!!!!! Technology needs to improve considerably before even considering the possibility.
S.png

Although I agree the above may be in poor taste, the reality is I can't help but think it's only conveying what the rest of the world thought.

5 people lost their lives which is tragic. Added reality is it happens every single day.

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #86  
Just a regular guy here, but my limited experience working with carbon fiber tube was that it is rigid and joining metal to the tubing was the weak spot (IMO) because it was dependent on the adhesive to hold the assembly together. I could see a situation where subjecting the carbon fiber to high pressures would be problematic because of its rigidity. I'm thinking of airline wing spans that are actually build to be strong, lightweight, and yet designed to flex.

Could also see it being problematic when you have a mix of metal and carbon fiber dealing with high pressure in combination together and depending on adhesive to compensate for the reaction between those two different materials which could be different from one another under pressure.

I'm not surprised that the use of carbon fiber in this extreme application was apparently controversial.

And add to that the pressure vessel being constructed in the shape of cylinder instead of a sphere.

Last edited:
   / Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #87  
A human body at 400 atmospheres has about 18 million pounds of pressure on it after the implosion.

Who is that guy on the video and are his facts accurate?

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #88  
I don't know who he is but I think his numbers are close.
Body Surface Area Calculator

Also, I saw an older video about subs and implosions and at 60 atmospheres, the quick compression would also cause high heat so 400 is WAY more than that.

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #89  
No way it is dangerous enough getting on an interstate highway now

/ Would you book a trip to outer space or under sea? #90  
Well, 400 atmospheres is 14.7 PSI times 400 which is 5880 PSI. So, 5880 pounds of pressure for each square inch of skin surface. 18,000,000 divided by 5880 is 3061. Does the average human body have 3061 square inches of surface area? I don't know, it seems a little high. It could be correct though. But a finger that's 5/8" diameter and 3 inches long has 5.9 square inches surface area.
Eric