Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I just received a Woodland Mills HM126 Woodlander XL which is their HM126 sawmill on a 16.5 foot trailer plus about 4 feet of trailer tongue. We got it all assembled and running this weekend and everything went well and it works great. But, the saw head unit, which rides on rails, is locked in place with 4 pins during transportation. The manual very clearly and specifically states that the position on the trailer is 19 inches forward of the rear of the trailer. You have to drill the holes in the side plates of the trailer for the pins. Pictured below is what it looks like in the lock down position. The trailer itself is very heavy but so is the saw head unit and as you can see, it sits way back on the trailer and well beind the wheels. To me this looks like a recipe for fishtailing. I've got a customer support question in asking them to address this. I have not had it out on the highway yet.

To put it in a different position would only require drilling a new set of holes....although the side plates and bed rails were extremely hard and even with a heavy duty drill it is hard work. To my eye it seems like just forward of the wheels would make more sense.

Interested in thoughts in general but specifically if there is anyone who owns this unit I would be interested in your experience.

Puuntyostokone-Woodland-Mills-e8b7f028c91da582-large.jpg

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #2  
(Comment deleted)

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #3  
Seems like rule of thumb would be to weigh the entire thing to get a base number, then slide the carriage forward until you get your 10-15% tongue weight (or whatever the magic sweet-spot number is).

Anyhow, for legal purposes, best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, in case you get sued or have warranty issues.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #4  
Posted below is how to weigh the tongue of the trailer using your bathroom scale. You'll be going to a commercial scale, or check the owner's manual, for weight of trailer with saw head. If you go to a scale, weigh your tow vehicle without the trailer attached and then attached. That also would give you the tongue weight.
Mossroad is right about the 10-15% of the trailer weight to be tongue weight. If your tow vehicle will carry the weight, 15% is better than 10%.
The 10-15% rule is so widely recognized, I'd go with that, rather than risking a mis-type, or clerical error in the assembly instructions.
Sometimes (always) when I send a copy and paste, something changes it to a link, and I don't know if that works, or not. The instructions on how to use a bathroom scale are on etrailer.com
Good luck with it.

Image result for how to weigh trailer tongue with bathroom scale

Bathroom Scale
  1. Place the trailer tongue 1 ft from the pipe on the support brick.
  2. Multiply the reading on the scale by the total distance between the 2 support pipes.
  3. Use a brick that is the same thickness as the scale so that the 2 x 4 is level when you weigh your trailer.
Jul 10, 2019

Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com​

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #5  
That doesn't look right, yet it's how they picture the trailers on their website.
1638750241005.png

As usual what MR said makes sense. I would use it the way that they say too unless or until you find that it's causing problems.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.
The particular trailer shown above is their off road only trailer.

I just looked at one of their product videos and it shows the trailer like I have being towed down the road with the saw head unit in the position indicated in the manual so I guess they got it all figured out. As mentioned, the trailer itself is very heavy and with so much trailer length in front of the wheels I guess it balances out.

I noticed on their 10 foot trailer the saw head is locked in place closer to the middle of the trailer.

I think I will take it out on the road next weekend and test it out.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #7  
Even if you were to go with the manufacturers instructions, I would think it would be a good idea to check the tongue weight just to know. Maybe secure the saw with clamps or straps for your test run then if you still have issues, contact the manufacturer and discuss the situation. Anyway, enjoy your new rig.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #8  
The particular trailer shown above is their off road only trailer.

I just looked at one of their product videos and it shows the trailer like I have being towed down the road with the saw head unit in the position indicated in the manual so I guess they got it all figured out. As mentioned, the trailer itself is very heavy and with so much trailer length in front of the wheels I guess it balances out.

I noticed on their 10 foot trailer the saw head is locked in place closer to the middle of the trailer.

I think I will take it out on the road next weekend and test it out.
I didn't even notice that you had started this thread. So you finally bought one also! We're getting enough people with BSMs that they almost could start another forum category.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.
I wish there was a saw mill category. Even the simple ones like mine are relatively complex in terms of set up and all the steps it takes from loading a log to finished boards. Not to mention people wondering which brand to buy. What their needs are. What it takes to make one worthwhile whether it is a hobby (like me) or a business or just a need for return on investment. I'll request it. Can't hurt.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #10  
I just received a Woodland Mills HM126 Woodlander XL which is their HM126 sawmill on a 16.5 foot trailer plus about 4 feet of trailer tongue. We got it all assembled and running this weekend and everything went well and it works great. But, the saw head unit, which rides on rails, is locked in place with 4 pins during transportation. The manual very clearly and specifically states that the position on the trailer is 19 inches forward of the rear of the trailer. You have to drill the holes in the side plates of the trailer for the pins. Pictured below is what it looks like in the lock down position. The trailer itself is very heavy but so is the saw head unit and as you can see, it sits way back on the trailer and well beind the wheels. To me this looks like a recipe for fishtailing. I've got a customer support question in asking them to address this. I have not had it out on the highway yet.

To put it in a different position would only require drilling a new set of holes....although the side plates and bed rails were extremely hard and even with a heavy duty drill it is hard work. To my eye it seems like just forward of the wheels would make more sense.

Interested in thoughts in general but specifically if there is anyone who owns this unit I would be interested in your experience.

Puuntyostokone-Woodland-Mills-e8b7f028c91da582-large.jpg
The OP’s comments make perfect sense and would follow loading guidelines For tongue weight. Further inquiry with the manufacturer would be in order.
As shown there may be a lot of vertical tail movement on rough roads.