Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #11  
I think it's a good idea to weigh it, but I usually try to go off of how much it pulls the truck down when raising jack. It does look like the wheels set back farther than a normal trailer and may be why it doesn't look right.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #12  
I'm betting it will pull just fine the way Woodland says to pull it...

If it was me, I would have tried it, instead of asking a bunch of folks that have never tested one, and have no idea, except they are taking wild guess'...

SR

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.
I'm betting it will pull just fine the way Woodland says to pull it...

Woodland Mills responded and they say that is where it is likely to work best but to adjust it according to my experience and tongue weight.
If it was me, I would have tried it, instead of asking a bunch of folks that have never tested one, and have no idea, except they are taking wild guess'...

SR

I have not had a chance to test it. I do not live where the mill is located. And in my original post I indicated that I was primarily looking for experience from folks who have this set up.

But, as usual, got good advice all around and a quick response from Woodland Mills as well. I might get a chance to test it this coming weekend but in all probability I'll end up spending most of the time sawing.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #14  
Woodland Mills responded and they say that is where it is likely to work best but to adjust it according to my experience and tongue weight.

I have not had a chance to test it. I do not live where the mill is located. And in my original post I indicated that I was primarily looking for experience from folks who have this set up.

But, as usual, got good advice all around and a quick response from Woodland Mills as well. I might get a chance to test it this coming weekend but in all probability I'll end up spending most of the time sawing.
Looking forward to your experiences with the new mill. (y)

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #15  
low end tongue weight scales (under 1000#) are little more than $100.

My local trailer/hitch shop lends theirs out for free.

Check local hitch/trailer expert and they will likely be able to get you one or lend/rent you theirs if they have.

Or.... if you know your local highway/trailer gov't inspection guy who spot checks loads on highways (can often find them at weigh station spots) can make the work also if they feel generous during the holiday season as around here they carry a scale to check trailers they see on the roads that are swaying too much or look unsafe.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #16  
Looking forward to your experiences with the new mill. (y)
So am I. I am envious, mine is sitting unassembled and probably will remain that way until spring.

To the OP; it's good to hear that they got back to you so fast. That seems to indicate they will give good support after the sale.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #17  
Woodland has pretty good engineering and tech support, but this is one of those situations where it's easy to measure and you can make tongue weight optimal by just rolling the sawhead around until it's perfect. So I'd say take some time to measure things for yourself.

I have had an HM-122 for a year now, and it's been great.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.
Assembly was tough but manageable. At least for a stiff old 58 year old trying to keep up with 30 year old son in law in good shape. The instructions are generally very good with a few small exceptions. Assembly was straight forward except for a few small exceptions. But, the trailer parts are heavy and there is a ton of bolting to be done. We went slow on purpose, particularly with the trailer and rail assembly which has to be just right (flat and square). It took an afternoon and all of the next day. About 12-14 hours all told. We got some minor stuff wrong and had to re-do it because we got slack and didn't pay attention to the manual and we got a few things wrong and had to re-do them because the manual was ambiguous or not clear.

But as package, the manuals are great and the process was great as well. And when we were done, everything worked properly.

Probably my biggest complaint is that no bolt heads were the same size as the nut that went on the bolt. Always one millimeter off. This created a lot of switching out of tools, which we had plenty of. I cannot imagine why anything would be designed that way. We both had impact drivers, wrenches and sockets but even when you were doing 30-40 bolts the same size the access to them was always different so you were constantly changing sockets and wrenches back and forth.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #19  
Woodland has pretty good engineering and tech support,
The Woodland Mills BSM's I've looked at, were china made, pretty much direct copy of a known quality BSM, so that doesn't take much engineering to end up with a decent BSM.

Use decent steel, and you get a decent copy.

SR

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #20  
The Woodland Mills BSM's I've looked at, were china made, pretty much direct copy of a known quality BSM, so that doesn't take much engineering to end up with a decent BSM.

Use decent steel, and you get a decent copy.

SR

Actually, Woodland started the whole trend many years ago with the low-cost "tinker toy" mills made in China. At the time, they had a unique design not based on anyone else. It was much lighter duty than a Woodmizer or Norwood, for example, with much more assembly required -- you'd never mistake the Woodland for anyone else! I didn't particularly like their early mills, but they were very successful and made a big dent in the market. It was Woodland that got copied by Harbor Freight, Woodmaxx, and other Chinese clones in time. Woodland was so successful that Norwood eventually entered the low-cost market with their eerily-similar Frontier line made in China, and even Woodmizer has a low-cost model line now. In my opinion they are all decent mills as long as you know what you are getting.

The later generations of Woodland mills got better and better, and by 2020 I felt like it was a pretty good product (still their unique design that kept evolving). I had planned to buy a Norwood or Woodmizer in late-2020, but both companies had a hard time keeping up with demand due to high lumber prices and had huge backlogs (it would later hit Woodland, when they had about 6-8 month backlog in 2021). Norwood had big issues with customer support and burned a lot of customers during that time. They never gave me the same answer twice when I tried getting delivery estimates, and I later learned they were shipping incomplete mills to customers and people were waiting months to get all the parts needed to run their new mills. Woodmizer wasn't doing good either, and was not responsive to my inquiries. All I wanted was honest, consistent info so they could take my money and get an order on the books.

On a lark I contacted Woodland and a nice lady pulled up a spreadsheet on her computer and was able to give me a 4-week forecast on their inventory. She mentioned they had a handful of the HM-122 model with the larger engine in the Buffalo NY warehouse that I could get within a week, so I got on the website and ordered one. I had been budgeting $10-12K for a mid-level Norwood or Woodmizer and instead spent $3300 on the entry-level Woodland unit with a 20' track. Big difference. I had lower expectations for sure.

I figured if it didn't work out I could sell it for what I paid and go back to Norwood or Woodmizer. Well, it's one of those rare products that blew me away. For the past 10-15 years, all my milling has been done on a friend's $35K Woodmizer with full hydraulics, which sets a pretty high bar. Obviously Woodland can't compete with that, but it's been a super productive mill for me and hasn't given me a lick of trouble. The quality is very good, the design is excellent (both company owners are mechanical engineers and do designs in-house), and they have some nice standard features that are options on other brands. Norwood wanted $200 for a blade lube system, plus another option to tie it into the throttle control, and it all came standard on the Woodland. I also like that all the wear items like belts and bearings are generic and easy to find. They have very detailed parts diagrams and lists in the owner's manual. I stocked up on belts and bearings and a few other wear items from local suppliers and Amazon.

I had one minor part break on the sawhead height crank index pin, which didn't slow me down but I sent them an e-mail asking for a replacement. They had it shipped from Canada to Virginia in 2 days and threw in a free hat too. They later released a free upgrade kit for sawhead post bushings, and again sent that over the border in 2 days. Their customer support has been great.

The final thing I suggest prospective buyers look at are the Facebook groups for each company. I am on several as an observer (I only post on the Woodland one). Let me tell you there is a huge difference. Norwood's is dominated by people complaining about customer support and is hard to look at. The Woodland group might get 1-2 disgruntled customers a month, but otherwise it's loaded with posts from people sawing lumber and building projects -- they are using their mills instead of complaining about them. When there is an issue, customer support steps in quickly and helps. The hardest part of the Woodland Facebook group is the large amount of novices who don't know much about tools/equipment/milling and can't be bothered to read the manual. I think that's par for the course with Facebook. I don't know how those folks survived before Facebook, they must have been aimlessly wandering around...