Wisdom

/ Wisdom #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Our rescue dog Kali who we rescued 7 years ago when she was 7 or 8 years old has reached her time. She has CCD (dimentia), is totally deaf, her eyes are failing, she can no longer stand for more than a minute or so before her legs fail her and she has to lay down.

It’s time to put her to rest. She will be missed and will be laid to rest up on the hill with her predecessors.

But what this post is really about is the inciteful statement my wife made to me last night. I’m 76 and she is 81. She said when Kali goes (scheduled for Thursday), we NEED to get another dog. She said that “when one of us goes at our age, we need a companion to keep going.”

How true.

KALI 1.jpeg

/ Wisdom #2  
Yep! Do it now while you are still young(er).

/ Wisdom #3  
My sympathies on dealing with end life issues with your dog.

A comment about being old and getting a new pet. At some age I feel it is best not to do that unless you know that upon your death the pet has a loving home to go to.

/ Wisdom #4  
I have two dogs. Both are 14-15. The "hound" is deaf, starting to get cataracts, has arthritis.

The "mutt" is pretty healthy.

Both live in my climate controlled shop and hang out with me all day. We are best friends. Their favorite beds have all been ditch finds. :cool:

Very sorry for your pending loss. I'd get another dog if I lose these two. I need them as much s they need me.

20231202_093343.jpg

/ Wisdom #5  
My Mom lost her 18 year old dog, and I suggested She get another to replace her friend. She really didn't want another dog because She knew it would outlive her. I suggested a particular breed, one that I would like to own, and if She got one of those, I would take care of it when She passed. I told her that whatever dog She got, would be taken care of, but She worries too much!
She hasn't done anything, but She has called, asking me to look at certain dogs She has found on the net.
David from jax

/ Wisdom #6  
Our rescue dog Kali who we rescued 7 years ago when she was 7 or 8 years old has reached her time. She has CCD (dimentia), is totally deaf, her eyes are failing, she can no longer stand for more than a minute or so before her legs fail her and she has to lay down.

It’s time to put her to rest. She will be missed and will be laid to rest up on the hill with her predecessors.

But what this post is really about is the inciteful statement my wife made to me last night. I’m 76 and she is 81. She said when Kali goes (scheduled for Thursday), we NEED to get another dog. She said that “when one of us goes at our age, we need a companion to keep going.”

How true.

View attachment 835093
I feel your pain. I've been there. My pup is 12, but still going strong. I'm 68, and will/would get another when this one goes. I think an "older" dog would be my choice.

/ Wisdom #7  
I got my current dog at age 60. Figured he would live until I'm 75. I'm 70 next month and he's blind. Glaucoma. We're still buds but he can't keep up and spending time with him outside is sometimes challenging. Been trying to teach commands like go left go right for years, he refuses to learn - I get it...He does hit brakes at 'look out' ot NO.
Clunks on the head are a great trainer. Anyway at this point I would get another. My younger wife will take care of whatever I have when I go.

/ Wisdom #8  
Can't imagine living without a pack in/around the house. I should cut down but we (wife as well) are itching for another puppy. Youngest turned 3 in May so it's been a while but Jethro took all of the 3 years to quit being a puppy.

/ Wisdom #9  
Your wife is smart. I am very sorry about your dog.

I know more than a few couples that when one passed, the other deteriorated quickly. None had pets as a companions.

Even young folks, if they are recently divorced, do much much better if they have a pet. My sister made it through her divorce much better because of her dog.

As humans, I think we crave companionship and someone to take care of and protect. Pets fit the bill for many.

/ Wisdom #10  
I feel your pain. I've been there. My pup is 12, but still going strong. I'm 68, and will/would get another when this one goes. I think an "older" dog would be my choice.
I'll be 65, and plan to get a pup in the spring. This time I am getting a puppy as I want to train it to hunt grouse, or at least retrieve them. We also will be slowing down at about the same time. When he or she is gone I likely will be around the OP's age and will get an older dog.