Window motor for chute ?

/ Window motor for chute ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Okay I have seen a few of you folks have used a car electric window motor , to rotate your snowblower chutes........but has anyone tried using one of those motors to move the chute deflector up and down. Or does anyone see problems that would arise if I try doing it.
See my picture attached............as you can see I don't need to have a electric chute rotator , because I can do it manually from my seat by reaching thru the cab rear felt cloth and turning the crank.
But I still have to get off my machine and comfort of the cab to change the chute deflection angle. The chute deflector has a very robust steel rod and attachment points and if I had easy access in Canada to a (under $100) linear actuator I would use that route, but I have not found one............but a electric window motor from scrap yard looks tempting and cheap.

What thoughts from others ?

Attachments

• DSCN1414.jpg
    DSCN1414.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN1413.jpg
    DSCN1413.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 596
   / Window motor for chute ? #3  
Why not.

Just install a pulley on the motor shaft and use a wire with spring.

The spring will keep the chute in a default angle.

Change the chute angle by operating the window motor.

Reverse the window motor back to default angle.

/ Window motor for chute ? #6  
I installed a 12volt linear actuator on my previous Kubota (from eBay), worked fine. The car window drive motor works better for chute rotation. You can couple the motors gear to the original mechanical drive "worm" gear using a short length of heater hose. Use a stainless steel hose clamp on the gear end and a through bolt on the work gear end.

bumper

/ Window motor for chute ? #7  
Okay I have seen a few of you folks have used a car electric window motor , to rotate your snowblower chutes........but has anyone tried using one of those motors to move the chute deflector up and down. Or does anyone see problems that would arise if I try doing it.
See my picture attached............as you can see I don't need to have a electric chute rotator , because I can do it manually from my seat by reaching thru the cab rear felt cloth and turning the crank.
But I still have to get off my machine and comfort of the cab to change the chute deflection angle. The chute deflector has a very robust steel rod and attachment points and if I had easy access in Canada to a (under $100) linear actuator I would use that route, but I have not found one............but a electric window motor from scrap yard looks tempting and cheap.

What thoughts from others ?

Here's a pic of my old and new linear actuators. I bought the new one a week or so ago at Princess Auto for $70. It has a stroke of 4 inches and max load of 270 pounds. As you can see the new one is somewhat different in physical size but should fit just fine on my BX25 rear mounted snowblower. The old unit was mechanically damaged when I rammed the deflector into a hard snow bank.
IMG_1077.jpg

/ Window motor for chute ?
I appreciate the actuator suggestions...and maybe that ends up being my only option..........but up here in Canada similar actuators from a Toronto supplier are $175....plus I would still need switches etc so probably over $220 with taxes. (we don't have no Princess Auto either , we do have NAPA?) Anyone see a manufacturer name brand on their actuators and model number maybe I will pay the duty and logisitics to get it across border by doing search that way. I do see that using a threaded rod with window motor could be tricky to protect from jambing whereas actuators are all protected.

/ Window motor for chute ? #9  
I just finished an electric chute rotator with a power window motor $10 from the bone yard. Perfect speed and very happy with results. Now I am thinking about motorizing the deflector. There is a huge selection of linear actuators on ebay which seem reasonably priced $50-60. Maybe one of these could be an option for you.

/ Window motor for chute ? #10  
Here's a pic of my old and new linear actuators. I bought the new one a week or so ago at Princess Auto for $70. It has a stroke of 4 inches and max load of 270 pounds. As you can see the new one is somewhat different in physical size but should fit just fine on my BX25 rear mounted snowblower. The old unit was mechanically damaged when I rammed the deflector into a hard snow bank.
View attachment 398328

Here's a video of the new linear actuator installed on the snow blower. As you can see I had to make up a little adapter to allow for the differences in physical dimensions and stroke length.

http://youtu.be/6AJ-86hcvTU