Winch Valve ?

/ Winch Valve ? #1  

WildWest

I have a hydraulic winch i am wanting to isntall on a truck using the power steering as a supply pump

What kind of valve do i need an open center etc?

I want a 12v i have looked at surpluscenter.com but i dont know enough about hydraulics to know what i need

I assume i take the return line where it would go to the power steering pump and tee in or maybe the output not 100%

just knowing what kind of valve i need would put me a step closer

/ Winch Valve ? #2  
I do not believe a power steering pump will give you enough pressure to operate your winch. They don't even have enough to lift a snow plow blade. You are much better off going with an electric winch or installing a separate pump on your engine and running off of that.

/ Winch Valve ? #3  
What kind of winch do you have? MileMarker makes a hydraulic winch to use with a power steering pump. JC

/ Winch Valve ?
Wayne County Hose said:
I do not believe a power steering pump will give you enough pressure to operate your winch. They don't even have enough to lift a snow plow blade. You are much better off going with an electric winch or installing a separate pump on your engine and running off of that.

I guess you should let the United States Military know because every HMMWV runs milemarkers on the power steering off the 6.5

An electric winch wont work underwater either.

If i had wanted an electric thats what i would have bought they have a low duty cycle and require an upgraded charing systems dual batteries etc

Now pto and hydraulics have their downfall but as long as you have running engine its good to go

RollTideRam I have a Ramsey H200 I had thought about getting the milemarker install kit but it has a flange bolting pattern that goes on the hyd motor mine has threaded ports with lines that remotely connect to a valve I just dont want a manual valve i want to be able to run it outside the truck or inside.

/ Winch Valve ? #5  
WildWest said:
I guess you should let the United States Military know because every HMMWV runs milemarkers on the power steering off the 6.5

If he indeed has a HMMWV, I stand corrected. If he has one of the other 99.9% of vehicles in existance, then I don't believe it will work.

/ Winch Valve ? #6  
Wayne County Hose said:
You know, it's not worth arguing about.

That's certainly true. However, you may want to do a bit more research on hydraulic winches driven off power steering pumps. I've been researching them myself. The Mile Markers get VERY good reviews, such as this one, especially for the money:

4X4REVIEW.COM: Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch

I think the MileMarker's like the one linked are only rated for 3.5gpm flow or something like that -- not really much at all, by hydraulic standards.

For continuous use, like snatching logs, they're MUCH better than electrics, which will quickly overheat or drain your battery, or both...

/ Winch Valve ? #7  
I dont know the brand name but my boss has a 12000 pound hydraulic winch on his blazer. He seems pretty happy with it.

I do not know if there is a difference in power steering pumps but I believe my Chevrolet silverado with a duramax diesel powers the booster for my brakes off of the power steering. I understand that diesels do not have any vacuum so they run the brake booster off of the the power steering. You might want to check and see if that is an issue if you are wanting to run a hydraulic winch off of a truck with a diesel and use the vehicle power steering pump.

This is a link to someone installing a Mile Marker winch in a jeep
pumphttp://7slotgrille.com/projects/03rubicon/mm/.

Here is the link to get an adapter kit to adapt a vehicle power steering pump
for a Mile Marker H series winch. You might look into the kit and see if all you had to do was run the hoses for it to your winch. It looks like all the valving is external on an H series.
Mile Marker H-Series Adapters

I am not trying to take sides on this issue just showing some information. It does appear that Mile Marker has kits to put on most popular vehicles.

/ Winch Valve ?
Well the milemarker setup has ports on top of the motor that are not threaded they have threaded holes for bolts and o rings around the ports and the valve bolts to the top of the motor

I had thought about just buying the milemarker adaptor kit

my ramsey has about a #8 hose leads coming off it if it were AN im not sure on what size hydraulic lines it has.

I had planned on drilling the orfice on the P Steering pump for a higher flow rate and streching the spring for a higher pressure.

Then eventuall upgrading to a P Series step van pump they are a higher Pressure and GPM Plus they are setup for a remote resivoir

Yes i am going to have Hydraboost brakes as you described your duramax having

I also plan on running a Hydraulic Ram assisted steering in the future.

The pumps not really my problem

It's just getting the proper solenoid valve .

Can you only edit your latest post btw?

Here is the article where i saw the milemarker setup with the bolt on flange

Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch Installation

8.jpg

/ Winch Valve ? #9  
On editing your own post there is a time limit and I'm not sure what it is
:)

/ Winch Valve ? #10  
Moderator's Note:

The thread has been pruned. Please keep the conversation civil. No PM's have been sent, as there are too many branches.