Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Anyone know if there is a fix for Win 10 working with previous copies of Deere service tech manuals? With XP and with Win 8.1, the tech manuals came up quickly in .pdf format. Now Win 10 takes forever (minutes) to load the .pdf from the CD's.

Thought someone may know of a fix.
thanks

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #2  
Might be a driver issue. You may need to go to Adobe's website and download a current driver.

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #3  
Try a third party reader, like "Foxit Reader". Im not big on Adobe products. I found the built in Win 10 reader (Edge Browser) to be slow when opening large files.

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals
Thanks for the suggestions.. gives me some leads as to where/what is causing the problem.

Downloaded Foxit and was able to open the CD service tech manual. In doing so, was notified that I was in "safe mode" which may just have been the problem at first. But have Foxit Reader as default now.. will see how this pans out.

And do appreciate the help. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #5  
Glad I seen this post! Just bought a windows 10 computer about a month ago and never thought of trying my service manuals in the computer. Sure enough they took forever to load. Loaded up Foxit and there they are. Works perfect!

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #6  
An "XP Mode" could be installed on Win 7 Professional which allowed older programs to run as if on an XP machine. Wonder if 10 has same ability?

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #7  
Cool Foxit is working for you guys too. Ive been using it for a few years now instead of the "Official" Adobe reader.

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals
Scooby074
Thanks for that tip. So far, have had smooth sailing with it installed. :thumbsup:

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #9  
No problems reading my old 14SB manual on this Win 10 machine.

Ralph

/ Win 10 issue reading CD service tech manuals #10  
I think the problem with PDF files in Win-10 is that 10 does not like Adobe. I was trying to update Adobe one time after installing 10 and received a error message that 10 did not use Adobe as a add in.