Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #591  
Every time I think about an IH Travelall, I think of Grumpy Old Men and the stinking fish in the backseat....lol

/ Will UAW Strike? #592  
I think about the 4 wheel drive front axle and how it seemed way out of proportion.

My late father in law bought a 1976 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pick up and as an employee, he was allowed to follow it down the Springfield production line.

It was common to ask line workers to do extra treatments as it went, like extra dumdum and such.

It was a really pretty two tone green truck, but the original sheet metal only last around 12/14 years, but he had purchased all the replacement panels for it and in the late 1990’s before he passed that truck once again looked brand new.

It was one hell of a 5th wheel camper hauler and firewood truck.

We used to go firewood gathering on weekends together, his would be stacked up higher than the cap, my f-250 not much lower….

I forget the engine size, but that binder engine had torque that wouldn’t end coupled with a 4 speed, and 2 speed transfer case….

/ Will UAW Strike? #593  
"Archie McCardell, a notoriously anti-union boss, who took over as CEO in 1978....."

Look how quickly Archie destroyed the company by attacking the very work force that made the products. He felt the workers should be made to work long hours without overtime pay, one of the biggest sticking points. He had no respect for the working man. In the end...he was FIRED.
OMG, would you just give it up. :rolleyes:
Learn how to admit your wrong with grace sometime.
The Unions savagely destroyed IH and it’s a horrible loss for the USA, the farmer and the rancher.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #594  
Welp, the strike continues and the S&!t has started to roll downhill. Mandatory one-week furloughs at my employer (tier 1/2 supplier) due to our lost revenue so far.

UAW needs to climb down off the high horse and get closer to a deal. ASAP.
For once, I agree with you.
The thing I can’t believe is when you see what the ”big 3” has offered, any sane person would take it. Also think the American people have little sympathy for the unions anymore. They have far outlived their usefulness.
Just go back to work and do your job. Stop being a panzy cry baby.

/ Will UAW Strike? #595  
The older Fords and the newer ones, light years difference in not only build quality but they tend to run forever as well (with normal maintenance)). My7 97 has NO emissions junk on it what so ever.
With the 6.4l, the jury is still out. Luckily everything is new on it

Older is better sometimes

/ Will UAW Strike? #596  
For once, I agree with you.
The thing I can’t believe is when you see what the ”big 3” has offered, any sane person would take it. Also think the American people have little sympathy for the unions anymore. They have far outlived their usefulness.
Just go back to work and do your job. Stop being a panzy cry baby.
For once ?!? Just because I tend to argue for gasoline over diesel in casual pickup truck use? lol.

Yeah the UAW's initial ask was so audacious, that they now seem to have no choice but to settle for about half. Which is a crazy good raise and increase in benefits! General public here in Michigan is going to sour on the union really, really soon once the casualties start piling up. This strike sucks.

/ Will UAW Strike? #597  
And meanwhile, non-u

The unions destroyed International Harvester. They were some of the most technologically advanced designs of their day. Their large farm tractors were the first ever with on board computers. The Scouts were awesome SUV’s. The final versions set the bar for the full size SUV. The Travelalls were the precursor for the Suburban. :)

It’s like trying to reason with a 4 yr old over why you can’t eat candy all day, lilranch2001. :ROFLMAO:
Been there, done that. Some people will support unions until they destroy the company, then cry and wonder why there’s no more companies to work for.
‘Nuff said.
From Wikepedia:
In 1979 IH named a new CEO, Archie McCardell, who was determined to improve profit margins and drastically cut costs. Unprofitable lines were terminated and factory production was curtailed. By the end of the year, profits were at their highest levels in 10 years but cash reserves were still low. Union members became increasingly irate over these measures and in the spring of 1979, IH prepared to face a strike. On November 1, IH announced McCardell had received a $1.8 million bonus. After he pressed for more concessions from the United Auto Workers, a strike was called on November 2, 1979.[10] By the time it ended, the strike had cost the company almost $600 million (over $1 billion today).

By 1981, the company's finances were at their lowest point ever. The company sold its Payline division of construction equipment to Dresser Industries in 1982. Further assets were sold to Tenneco, Inc., in 1984.

Sounds like greed from both sides. If profits were at their highest levels why were the cash reserves still low? Why would the CEO take a $1.8 million bonus and then press for more concessions from the UAW?
Having been in the workforce for 33 yrs now as an engineer I've seen the good and bad with unions but mostly good. What I've witnessed is corporations will abuse employees unless there is a threat of a union. I know because as a salary employee I was abused from low pay and working overtime with no pay.

/ Will UAW Strike? #598  
.... What I've witnessed is corporations will abuse employees unless there is a threat of a union. I know because as a salary employee I was abused from low pay and working overtime with no pay.....
I lived through a corporate take over that saw "right-sizing" of benefits including the loss of a established pension plan.

The union workers within the same company, saw no such decrease in benefits or plans.

/ Will UAW Strike? #599  
I lived through a corporate take over that saw "right-sizing" of benefits including the loss of a established pension plan.

The union workers within the same company, saw no such decrease in benefits or plans.

Now that I'm working for the federal government it's like being in a union in a way. Very hard to get fired and any reduction in workforce would allow you to seek employment within another gov't agency.

/ Will UAW Strike? #600  
For once ?!? Just because I tend to argue for gasoline over diesel in casual pickup truck use? lol.

Yeah the UAW's initial ask was so audacious, that they now seem to have no choice but to settle for about half. Which is a crazy good raise and increase in benefits! General public here in Michigan is going to sour on the union really, really soon once the casualties start piling up. This strike sucks.
They already are from what I see in the local print papers and talking to folks up town, there is a distinct dislike for the strike in general. Very little positive in the local papers, just an occasional article and not pro or con.