Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #21  
I don't believe it will be the end of the UAW or the Big 3. I think they will go through some pain though and shareholders might feel some too. That's why I'm keeping some powder dry. This is Fain trying to make a name for himself talking big. Let's see how long members and retirees hang with him.
They will hang with him until they realize that 500 bucks a week won't cut the mustard. Might not be the end of the UAW but the UAW is going to get a lesson in economics real quick. The auto companies would like nothing better than to rid themselves on the union. They want to operate like the non union foreign automakers do in RTW states. I agree, Fain is trying to make a name for himself but Fain is like B iden, he's gonna fall from grace pretty quick. After all Money talks and BS walks.

Like I stated previously, just sit back and watch. I have a ringside seat myself.

This time is really not the best time to make unreasonable demands. Being in a recessionary economy with a flakey President will not be conducive to their off the wall demands. Interestingly, I was a Teamster for a few years but quit the Union carrier and went to work for a non-union carrier and retired after 32 years and I draw a helluva pension plus I received a substantial 401 employer-employee match plan. Didn't pay any union dues either. There are excellent non-union jobs out there. All one has to do is look.

Didn't have to drive a slip seat truck full of trash either. Got a new long hood Western Star and a new Aluminum flat bed covered wagon, every 2 years. Always a big Cat with a 13 double over. No short pecker trucks that died on every hill, yanking around a van trailer.

Part of that still lives on. Have a long nose conventional with a 3406 B model Cat with a 42 foot hopper bottom Timpte in the barn for hauling grain to the elevator and I always overload it.

/ Will UAW Strike? #22  
I think they know they have g___ment cash coming their way and they aren’t worried.
Someone said something like 12 billion is coming to them for EV related manufacturing or infrastructure.

What’s it called when government and big business are in bed together? I forget… ;)

/ Will UAW Strike? #23  
Fascism!!

Unions have already made Toyota #1.

The big 3 will be committing suicide if they let this UAW deal go through.

Greed will kill a company everytime.

/ Will UAW Strike? #24  
The companies may welcome a strike to a point. They will be able to save money as it drags on and many of them now have a surplus at dealerships. (Though it really seems to vary).

There is a Toyota dealership just off I30, not far from here. They have few vehicles on the lot.

/ Will UAW Strike? #25  
As with every negotiation, both sides start far apart and meet in the middle, on or after the deadline. Quite often they agree to continue working day-by-day on the old contract if progress is being made.

/ Will UAW Strike? #26  
We'll see. Given the economy and the distance they are apart, I expect the OEMs to wait them out a bit. A strike in this economy will help their bottom line, to a point.

/ Will UAW Strike? #27  
The UAW probably has the best environment in the foreseeable future to make a stand right now. State and Federal governments have a pro labor lean right now, the auto companies have been making large profits, executives are getting compensated at 400x the assembly workers’ wages plus get severances and pensions (Mike Manley), and the uaw has made concessions that have resulted in guys working side by side for years with very different pay and benefits. With global supply chain deficiencies highlighted by recent events, there is also motivation to maintain domestic production.

The companies may be in a position to benefit from a short-term strike too. A reduced supply of vehicles will keep the unit selling prices high, like they’ve been, and striking workers won’t be getting 80% of their pay through unemployment and sub pay like laid off workers would. Excess inventories will get drawn down without the normal costs associated with idling plants.

7.5% mortgages, 10% auto loans, and 25% credit cards are going to make life tough for many hourly workers anyway, why not go down fighting for something?

/ Will UAW Strike? #28  
As with every negotiation, both sides start far apart and meet in the middle, on or after the deadline. Quite often they agree to continue working day-by-day on the old contract if progress is being made.
Yep...just the normal negotiation process as they get closer to the middle.

/ Will UAW Strike? #29  
I hope they do strike. I don't care, I can't afford a brand new vehicle anyways.

My brother is UAW for the last 27 years or so in skilled trades. He doesn't want a strike cuz he likes his paycheck but knows it will happen.