Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes?

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes?
We’re done. I didnt prep it too much, the old bucket is pitted a little. Need to drill a couple of weep holes so water doesn’t accumulate. I’m happy with it, its bigger than my first one.

So i have $650 in it. $250 for the bucket, $300 for the adapter, and $50 for steel, and $50 in paint and rods, grinder discs.
734CDA17-5507-4ED9-A1BD-3AF47F09736D.jpeg

It will make graveling these quicker. Gravel pile is out front and i have to bed this with 4” gravel above pipe. Takes forever with a 2’ digging bucket.
2DF25665-B24E-4074-8061-0E664C9E76A7.jpeg

I revisit this thread if it cracks. Don’t anticipate that though…

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #42  
No doubt beveling is good practice, I wonder why manufacturers dont. Seems its just sop for the home craftsman. Plus manufacturers all use mig. How does penetration from .35 gsaw compare to stick?
The machines commercial manufacturers use are much more capable than the machines in most home workshops. I doubt you’ll find too many MIG machines rated more than 180-200 amps in home shops. I have a Lincoln PowerMig 256 that is 300 amp and capable of welding 1/2” in one pass, provided you use the correct gas. Today, that machine is going for $4000 - not a price that is attractive unless you can justify it.
POWER MIG® 256 MIG Welder

Last edited:
The machines commercial manufacturers use are much more capable than the machines in most home workshops. I doubt you’ll find too many MIG machines rated more than 180-200 amps in home shops. I have a Lincoln PowerMig 256 that is 300 amp and capable of welding 1/2” in one pass, provided you use the correct gas. Today, that machine is going for $4000 - not a price that is attractive unless you can justify it.
POWER MIG® 256 MIG Welder
So I’ve got a Hobart 140 i use all the time with flux core, a Hobart ac/dc stickmate, and a hypertherm 45. I‘m hoping to get a bigger mig. What’s good for around $2K? Not sure I want to spend $4k on something my stick will do. Does duty cycle come into play with those $4k welders?

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #44  
When I bought my 256 about six years ago, I needed something bigger than my Lincoln 140 to use in the shop. I still have my Lincoln tombstone that I bought 50 years ago and use it for certain jobs, but wanted something that I could use on new material and not have as much cleanup as a stick welder. I sold a Miller portable that I rarely used and got a smokin' deal on the 256, almost half of the price today. However, with today's pricing, I'm not sure what I'd do. I've never used an Everlast, but have heard good things (and some bad) about them. I see they have a deal on a bigger machine right now, priced at $1800, although this may be more machine than you want or need. I'm not sure what I'd do today. I've always used red and blue, but might look into this if I was in the market. I know they are a sponsor of the welding forum, so you could find out more from Mark@Everlast.
Power i-MIG 315 | Everlast Generators

Last edited:
   / Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #45  
We’re done. I didnt prep it too much, the old bucket is pitted a little. Need to drill a couple of weep holes so water doesn’t accumulate. I’m happy with it, its bigger than my first one.

So i have $650 in it. $250 for the bucket, $300 for the adapter, and $50 for steel, and $50 in paint and rods, grinder discs.
View attachment 753618
It will make graveling these quicker. Gravel pile is out front and i have to bed this with 4” gravel above pipe. Takes forever with a 2’ digging bucket.
View attachment 753619
I revisit this thread if it cracks. Don’t anticipate that though…
Real nice job!

Making an adapter for my excavator to hook to skid steer attachments, like pallet forks and hay forks. Got another adapter and welded it up. I did bevel, then single pass, then went over that pass with a wide back and forth.

5E79C995-E4E8-49D4-AA50-70A44B88E143.jpeg
2B896E90-4443-4791-AB16-F342712C9DBE.jpeg

This is what I will be putting it on. one of these. Likely the faded one cause its new old stock. The brighter one was bent. Cut it and re-welded it.

B3B09789-357C-4B5D-ABBB-0B28EEBA9752.jpeg

anyone want to critique my idea?

i have 2x2x1/4” tube(blue x2) that I am going to run from outer ear to outer ear where the pins are. I will cut a square out of the inner ears so square tube fits in it, flush with outside surface. The 3/4 adapter(red) will attach to top square tube. Then I will cut a gusset out of 1/2” plate(green x2) that attaches the 3/4 adapter(red) to both blue square tubes and existing factory round tube. All the steel I am adding is a36. The factory round tube is 1/4” any suggestions. Will a36 be stron enough?
3EA2F052-ED2E-44BC-A1FF-E07FB214C1BA.jpeg

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #48  
I kinda doubt that 2x2” 1/4” wall is strong enough. The tractor SSQA plate didn’t need to be that strong because it was supported on both sides but the mini x mount needs to be drastically stronger because it’s only supported in the middle.

Maybe I can run a plate left to right over the 2x2 making it solid. I’ve got 1/2” plate(a36). Also have ar500 1/2 plate but do not want to waste it on this project. I will be getting some grade 60 plate soon.
Also have 1/4 and 3/8 plate.

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #50  
Maybe I can run a plate left to right over the 2x2 making it solid. I’ve got 1/2” plate(a36). Also have ar500 1/2 plate but do not want to waste it on this project. I will be getting some grade 60 plate soon.
Also have 1/4 and 3/8 plate.

Flat plate isn’t that strong by itself. I think I’d upgrade the tube size.