Will my trailer handle this weight?

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #1  

Barnee

Tractor
Kubota L3000DT
I have a single axle trailer (3500# axle) that i want to use to haul a pallet of sod. I figure the trailer itself weighs approx. 800# which would leave 2700# capacity for the sod. Does anyone know if this is enough capacity, especially if the sod is wet?

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #2  
Ya need to call the sod plant, or whoever is getting it for you. They should be able to tell you the weight. Otherwise, it is really a guess...

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #3  
Does your trailer have brakes on it? I just hauled 2 pallets of sod (not very wet) on my 10k dump trailer and I was amazed at how heavy it was. If you're not traveling far and take it easy you'd probably be ok, but I think you'd be right at the limit for that trailer. (make sure your tires are at max PSI)

If you're near a truckstop you can weigh the whole rig for about $7.50 . might be worth it just for curiosity.

Regards,
Dave

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #4  
A full pallet of wet sod can weigh up to 4000 pounds.

Just depends on what you get...

Soundguy

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #5  
About a month ago I had a pallet of grass on my 5x10 3500lb trailer. Couldn't even tell it was there. Made less of an impression on my lawn than my truck did. If it is really wet/heavy, have them move the load further forward to take a little load off the axle. You should be fine.

As far as brakes, check your local laws. You don't say were you are from so nowone here can help you. In some states (mostly in the Northeast as far as I can tell), you must have brakes on any axle with a trailer over 1000#. I have seen and used tandem axle 7000# trailer with no brakes.

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #6  
His isp is in texas.

/ Will my trailer handle this weight?
Hi all,

thanx for the replies. I live in south Texas about 50 mi. sw of houston. The grass I'll be getting will either be Bermuda or St. Augustine (probably this type). My trailer is a 5x10, and doesn't have brakes. We just got a bunch of rain so i'll wait awhile to get the sod. I figured i can throw some in the back of the pickup to ease the load on the trailer if it looks too weighted down.

Again, i appreciate your help

Mike

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #8  
Mike, I had a 5 x 10 single axle, no brakes, trailer with a 3500# axle, went from 60 miles south of Dallas to Ellensburg, WA, and loaded some furniture and assorted other stuff on it, went across some scales and found I had 2800# on that axle (don't know what the tongue weight was or what the empty trailer weight was), but came back from Ellensburg, WA, to Denton, TX, driving the speed limit most of the way with no problem.

/ Will my trailer handle this weight? #9  
With a 3500# axle.. you are probably gonna be ok unless it is a high stacked pallet.. and soaking wet. And don't wait too long for it to dry... a 4x4 stack of grass is gonna hold water for a while. Load it.. if it it looks like the trailer is too heavy.. just unload a foot or so to the truck.. Sounds like it will be fine anyway. Just be carefull about breaking distance.

Soundguy