Why Not New Holland???

/ Why Not New Holland??? #21  
I understand your concern about electronics. I really liked the Kubota Grand L series but the electronics made me nervous. That day after looking at the Kubota, I got home and the IEEE Spectrum had an article about finding replacement electronics.

IEEE Spectrum: Trapped on Technology's Trailing Edge

I finally decided on a TC31DA for my little 5 acres and I can't wait to take delivery.

/ Why Not New Holland??? #22  
For the whatever its worth category. while I now have a kubota, it was due to the cost of the machine and what I wanted on it. I had a NH TC21D, it was a great machine, only had two problems, the nuts came loose and I lost a front tire, that was fixed by different nuts and tightening them really well, then the hydrolics blew and had to have new lines installed, other than that the NH was a very good tractor, had it for three years and put on 250 hours. Only reason I sold it was that I needed more horses and a larger mower deck. I would have gladly purchased another NH if I could have got the pricing and financing that I got from the Kubota dealer.

/ Why Not New Holland??? #23  
12volt, the electronics is what steered us both away from Kubota, and Deere. Plus the Kubota made me feel crampted. All that electronic gear is super slick when new and under warrenty, but what about 20 years down the road. Both our purchases were long term. We also liked that the PTO engagement was manual, and could be feathered in, unlike even at idle, the electric PTO just abruptly engages. I started my search wanting a 45 to 50 hp hydro trans. After reading about several catostrophic failures of hydro on TBN. And then driving the NH 12/12 trans, it became a no brainer. My neighbor and I still frequence the dealers. We were at a Deere dealer, and whilr looking at the tractors on the lot, a salesperson comes out to speak to us. We told him we were just looking, and that we had already bought NH tractors. He said, "I'm sorry to hear that", we then went on to tell him how extremely pleased we were with our purchases. He said "I'm really sorry to hear that". We explained about the NH 12/12 transmissions, and how happy we were with them. He said "Deere has no basic gear clutch trans without the electronic shift EHSS" He said he knew they were losing sales to other manufacturers due to that missing in their line up. Glad you have decided on either a Deere or Kubota. If you would please keep us posted on the long term electronics, and their durability over the years of enjoyment you'll have with your machine. I looked at that Kubota dash, and all I saw was $$$$$ if it ever went bad. Hey, it's just a tractor......why such complicated expensive readouts for cutting grass, loader work, bruch hogging? What are you going to do when in 20 years, if you still have the machine, and the dash goes bad? Or PTO engagement silinoid? You go to the dealer and they quote you an outstanding cost for repair, or simply state, "Those parts are no longer available" :eek: :eek:

BizDoc, some of that sounds like faulty dealer prep to me.

/ Why Not New Holland??? #24  
I like a manual pto engagement.. vs electric... I've heard that some electric engagements still use a feathered.. or slow start hyd clutch.. but still.. it ain't the same.. yet anyway..

soundguy

/ Why Not New Holland??? #25  
no electronic problem with my 3000 ford they just don't build them like they use to we could not afford them if they did. a switch in place of a lever is just less expensive to manufacture.

/ Why Not New Holland??? #26  
Soundguy said:
I like a manual pto engagement.. vs electric... I've heard that some electric engagements still use a feathered.. or slow start hyd clutch.. but still.. it ain't the same.. yet anyway..

soundguy

Actually Soundguy I've had 2 TN's. One with manual (giant lever) and my current one with a a tiny rocker switch (same as switch for differential lock) Both electro hydro systems operate feather smooth and I couldn't be happier. Makes driving the machine that much easier. Definately no abrupt engagements. I think it is better than manual and will probably wear less.

Andy

/ Why Not New Holland??? #27  
Till that switch goes!

also, when it comes to repairs.. the more over-ticked it is.. the more $$ it will be to fix. I imagine in 50 ys.. finding parts for an electric over hyd pto will be something you might have to go to a museum for!.. vs a maual handle connected to a hyd valve.. etc.. I like looking at the long term.. but then.. I collect antiques too..

soundguy

/ Why Not New Holland??? #28  
Soundguy said:
Till that switch goes!

also, when it comes to repairs.. the more over-ticked it is.. the more $$ it will be to fix. I imagine in 50 ys.. finding parts for an electric over hyd pto will be something you might have to go to a museum for!.. vs a maual handle connected to a hyd valve.. etc.. I like looking at the long term.. but then.. I collect antiques too..

soundguy

I suspect you're right. I also collect antique equipment although not as much as you yet. So far I'm into smaller scale stuff with a 1957 Economy and a lot of equipment some of it horse drawn.

But if so many TN's fail in 50 years junk yard parts should be available :D
Andy

/ Why Not New Holland??? #29  
I still don't hold much faith that a realitively unprotected electronic module in a junkyard will be any better than one on a cared for tractor.. but ther eis always hope I guess!

In the end.. creative user supported wire arounds will probably be the 'fix' for that problem..

soundguy

/ Why Not New Holland??? #30  
I had thought about getting an economy.. or a power king. There is one of each for sale near me.. just havn't worked up the nerve to venture towards one yet..

soundguy