Why Not New Holland???

/ Why Not New Holland??? #1  

12VOLTMAN

Tractor
John Deere 4120
O.K. New Holland guys straighten me out.

My search for a new tractor so far has taken me to Deere 4120, Kioti DK45, and Massy 1547. I have yet to look at Kubota, but I will.

Various people have said to me "stay away from New Holland"
But they never say why?

I stopped by a dealership on the way home tonight and looked ,very quickly, at a boomer. The salesman told me that the TC series is being replaced by the T2300 series and the only difference in the two is a new decal. I was in a hurry, but when I looked at a T2320 it looked a little stripped down. More like a utility tractor than the old boomer I've seen in the past.

So what's the deal???
Can you guys fill me in on what to look for in the New Holland line up!

Thanks

/ Why Not New Holland??? #2  
12Volt,

I know that you will get some more substantive info from others but my search just a year or so ago included most of the same machines as you have looked at.

In the end for me it came down to Massy 1500 series, a Deere 4x20 series or a larger Boomer. I had quality dealers in my area for all three. I felt, and and still do, that any of those three would have been great for me. Prices for similar HP machines were relatively close. In the end, New Holland was running unbeatable financing (it changes monthly) on the TC55DA model so they could make way for the new stickers/logo in the T24xx series machines. So I went for the New Holland. While I have not needed their support, I liked the dealer and feel that if needed they will be fair and helpful.

Blue is my favorite color too :)

As others will tell you, pick a dealer that you have confidence in.

I'm not up on Kioti but they seem to get good reviews (orange is not my favorite color) ;)

Just do it!
Flip a 4-sided coin if you have to......

~Paul

/ Why Not New Holland??? #3  
I can't speak for the Boomer but i can't imagine a better tractor than my TL100A New Holland , it's just a lovely thing (although i wish they would have put a tap on the fuel tank crossover line so i do'nt run out of fuel on slopes ) .

/ Why Not New Holland??? #4  
12VOLTMAN said:

But they never say why?

I was in a hurry, but when I looked at a T2320 it looked a little stripped down. More like a utility tractor than the old boomer I've seen in the past.

So what's the deal???

Okay 12volt...I'll try to straighten you out.;)

You made the same mistake the "people" make when they say, "Stay away from New Holland." There is no information there, only a negative connotation. You say the T2320 looks "a little stripped down" without saying why. Was it missing a hood?:rolleyes: :D Please tell us what it did not have. Then we can respond. There are three basic models of T2320. You may have looked at the lower end. Did it have rubber mats? A cab? HST?

New Hollands can be configured very nicely. One thing I like about the T2320 is that you can add up to three rear hydraulic remotes. Can you get three in a Deere, a Kioti, a Massey? You have to check out what a tractor may have as options for later upgrades.

In my opinion, the Deere compact tractors have a little lead in technology and features right now with their electronic engine and transmission controls as well as a John Deere built engine. For that, you will pay a little more. I think if you try the NH, you will see it has nice features and an operator layout with all the controls in the right place, specifically the pedal placement on the HST models and the loader joystick controls.

So, please take the time to ask a little more specific questions so we can respond with the kind of meaningful details you can "take to the bank" when buying a tractor. Generalizations are often misleading and hard to nail down. There are lots of really great compact tractors out there and folks here will do their best to help if they know exactly the details you are looking for. I can talk all day about what I like, but you aren't buying a tractor for me.;) :)

/ Why Not New Holland??? #5  
12Voltman,

I believe that the negative connotations come from anecdotes and bad experiences that good ergonomics or great financing simply can't hide. I very much liked my first TN-A, and the 0%/36 months was great, but my tractor was of such poor quality that it ended up being bought back by New Holland under warranty! In the first 250 hours, the power shuttle clutch failed at 100 hours, the power steering 'box' had to be replaced three times, and the electrical system failed, leaving me stranded outside in the middle of winter for nearly two weeks. Within the last 52 weeks, I experienced a total of eight weeks accumulated down time! If this tractor were a car, the state would have made them repurchase it anyhow under the lemon laws!! It is only because I have an excellent, excellent dealer and my own dogged persistence with NH Customer Service that I received any consideration at all for my trials. My only hope is that this replacement TN-A performs as it should, and is not as poorly built as the old unit, else I will be trading for green or orange and recounting my NH horror stories to others all the while. Not only had I problems, but one of the managers where I worked and a farmer friend of his both have NH horror stories to rival mine. As my own manager put it, 'All I hear about New Holland is problems.' With NH, it's a good value up front, but poor quality behind.

Again, this is just my own experience, but I'd definitely be leery of investing in another piece of NH equipment...

/ Why Not New Holland??? #6  
As far as boomers, I'm on my third (Case DX - boomer in red) and only because I bought too small the first two times. I didn't put a ton of hours on any of them but had virtually no problems either. Started with a DX24 and absolutely abused this tractor with the amount of work I was demanding out of it. 400 hours and zero problems. Purchased a DX33 and only had a few minor issues, line leaks & starter problem. Tractor worked flawlessly until trade in at 295 hours. Finally got the tractor I should have gotten in the first place. DX45 w/cab (T2320 equivelant). Only 5 hours so far but plan on seeing how this one holds up over the long haul. I have no doubts it will do well.

As Jinman said - Deere may have the edge in the technology dept. but I'd tip my hand toward NH in regards to value for $ spent. Another note - If you don't mind red (I actually prefer it over blue ;) ) I financed mine at 0% - 60 and think Case IH is still running this promotion on compacts until the end of April. Only thing you won't be able to get in red is the supersteer/sensi-track option.

Last edited:
   / Why Not New Holland??? #7  
12VOLTMAN said:
But they never say why?
In addition to what jinman said, who are these 'various people' and why would you believe them when they don't say why you should 'stay away from New Holland'? :)

/ Why Not New Holland??? #8  
I bought my Tractor used at 79 hours although it was 3 years old already. Original purchaser traded it in early & Dealer could not sell it until I came along. Have had zero mechanical problems with the tractor & have worked tractor very hard. (Currently at approx 250 Hrs.) A few minor electrical problems that were sorted out here on this forum that I was then able to fix myself. I think you need to review the other forums on this web site as well as this one & I think you will see that the other top brands have there share of problems as well. Which make is better, normally the one you currently own :D . As I have not owned any other brand I will be definitely biased. On the other hand I don't think you can go wrong with either a JD or Bota tractor.

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Why Not New Holland??? #9  
For me it came down to something that was upto date, but not all electronic.

I see more and more posts about guys fighting electrical issues on there tractor.

I dont need a cray computer under the hood of my tractor to do diagnostics on it. Its not a F18 tomcat. Its a dam tractor!

The kubota seemed lightweight and had way to much electronics for me.
The Koti seemd a bit stripped down, and to expensive when i added all the options i would need.

NH seemed to have a good combo between the 2.

Im very happy with my TC33 but am disappointed the orginal NH loader was swapped out for a lesser one. If i had to change something it would be the loader.

/ Why Not New Holland??? #10  
I'm not sure why you have been told to stay away from NH.. I've had ford and NH tractors for years. My main mower is a NH 7610s.. I love it. before that I had a small NH 1920.. again.. loved it. All my backup tractors are fords.. etc... no complaints..

soundguy

12VOLTMAN said:

My search for a new tractor so far has taken me to Deere 4120, Kioti DK45, and Massy 1547. I have yet to look at Kubota, but I will.

But they never say why?

I stopped by a dealership on the way home tonight and looked ,very quickly, at a boomer. The salesman told me that the TC series is being replaced by the T2300 series and the only difference in the two is a new decal. I was in a hurry, but when I looked at a T2320 it looked a little stripped down. More like a utility tractor than the old boomer I've seen in the past.

So what's the deal???

Thanks