Which wheel bearing grease???

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #1  

Fields_mj

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710, Kubota F2880, White FB16
I'm getting ready to pack the bearings on my equipment trailer. It has 5200 lb axles. I'm an engineer so I suffer from paralysis by analysis.... I've searched the forms and it seems like everyone has an opinion on what to use. Based on what I've read on-line (since on-line is the most reliable source of information ever devised by man), I'd like to use Lubrimatic L11390. Problem is that I can't get it locally and I'd like to use something I can get from a local source (NAPA, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, Autozone) so that I can get it easily when I run out. I only use the tralier 4 or 5 times a year, but I do use it to haul over 8K, so I'd like to use a good grease. While it's not a boat trailer, I do pull it across a creek once in a while, and it does sit a lot. So I'd like something that won't wash out, and can tolerate sitting still for months on end. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Mark

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #2  
I have never been let down by Mobil 1 grease.

No washout and it stays working after sitting for years.

But if you want to tickle your engineering fancy...Redline CV-2 is probably the best.

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #3  
Just about any high temp synthetic grease should tickle your engineer itch. They're just wheel bearings, not shuttle craft.

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #4  
You could even use Lucas lithium grease. I wouldn't recommend anything with molybdenum disulfide. It's too slick and the bearings can slide around the axle instead of rotating wearing a flat spot on one side.

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #5  
For such infrequent use any grease would get the job done. I’d buy a tube of moly grease.

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #6  
You could even use Lucas lithium grease. I wouldn't recommend anything with molybdenum disulfide. It's too slick and the bearings can slide around the axle instead of rotating wearing a flat spot on one side.

Ive always heard this about moly but have been using Ford wheel bearing grease for many years and it has moly without any trouble. Just my results. Others may have had different endings.

/ Which wheel bearing grease???
Just about any high temp synthetic grease should tickle your engineer itch. They're just wheel bearings, not shuttle craft.
The engineer itch is about understanding the differences so that I don't end up picking a grease that doesn't work when most of them would have worked just fine.

/ Which wheel bearing grease??? #8  
   / Which wheel bearing grease??? #9  
Have bearing buddies on my 3500 lb dexter axles. Use the Mobil lithium grease that all the rest of grease fittings here get

/ Which wheel bearing grease???