When to use four wheel drive?

/ When to use four wheel drive? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Last Fall I bought a JD 3038e I really like, but how/when do you use 4x4? Sounds like a stupid question, but I forget and leave it in 4wd a lot. I was bushhogging just now in 2wd, but hilly parts and it started to rain I had to put it in 4x4. I guess my point is does it hurt to leave it in 4x4 or better not to. Thanks!

/ When to use four wheel drive? #2  
Last Fall I bought a JD 3038e I really like, but how/when do you use 4x4? Sounds like a stupid question, but I forget and leave it in 4wd a lot. I was bushhogging just now in 2wd, but hilly parts and it started to rain I had to put it in 4x4. I guess my point is does it hurt to leave it in 4x4 or better not to. Thanks!

Don’t use it on pavement or general high speed road travel. I use it in mud or snow and a lot when mowing uneven terrain. I keep mine on about 80 percent of the time.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #4  
Agree. The only time NOT to use it would be on hard dry surfaces like asphalt & concrete (especially if turning), or if you were concerned with tearing up a yard or grassy area. Mine is 4x4 most of the time.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #5  
Tight turns in 4wd will tear up the ground. So will leaving the rear diff lock on, if so equipped. Not a big deal in a construction area or out in a field, but can be a problem if you're on improved ground like landscaping or a nice lawn at the time. I'm in 4x4 all winter long, and any other time I have traction issues (like brush hogging up a steep incline). Rest of the time I'm in 2wd.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #6  
Only when needed. Saves fuel and wear and tear especially tires.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #7  
I too forget to take it out of 4WD occasionally, but i use mine for traction as mentioned but also for braking going down hills. If the rear wheels start sliding, you don't have a braking then.. I knew that, but learned it firmly when mowing a hill going up and down, made it up without 4WD, slid part way down in 2WD, put it in 4WD always for that hill.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #8  
Does your tractor have a 4wd indicator telling you when it's engaged?

Study your dash indicators and functions. Learn them and use them. Disengage 4wd when not needed.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #9  
I only use 4 wheel drive AFTER I loose traction or when I have GOOD reason to believe I will.

/ When to use four wheel drive? #10  
One thing to remember is tractors don't have front brakes. 4wd is the only way to offset that. When going down a hill with weight in your loader you could find out too late that the rear tires don't have enough weight on them to keep them from skidding.