What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #31  
Wow, I'm an enabler for suggesting a used commercial grade Walker mower?

I've owned a bigbox store mower and on my 1 1/2 acre lawn it lasted about 10 years. My Walker is a 2000 model. I purchased it used 11 years ago and love it.
Walker??? Had to look it up. Closest dealer is over 100 miles away.

What the heck did you do to a new mower to have it last only 10 years mowing 1.5 acres? My Husqvarna rider was still in great shape after 10 years and sold it for $1000 to a buddy who was thrilled to get it. I replaced a spindle ($25) when I hit a large rock (my fault), a bad seat switch ($25) and a starter ($60). But I did baby it. Changed the oil every 50 hours, greased it once a year, changed the blades regularly, kept it on a battery tender, always stored in a garage. Only used it on level ground and did not pull a trailer with it. Pulled a tow behind sprayer about 10 times.

I sold the Husky because I hate cutting grass and the ZT does it twice as fast. Plus I have a lot of trees to deal with and the ZT does better with less trimming needed. Just pure laziness on my part.

I would rather have a new $5k mower with a warranty and local dealer support that will last 30 years with periodic maintenance than a used machine that may have been abused and not well maintained. At 70+ YO, my Bad boy will outlive me.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower
Commercial mower is probably out of the question for my budget and needs. I'm probably looking for a mid to high end consumer unit. I'm thinking around $5k, less if used.

The high end commercial units would be like buying a semi truck to haul a couple bags of mulch for me.

For any "heavy" work or towing, I have tractors and a brush hog. This would just be for the "lawn" areas and close to the tree rows.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #33  
Walker??? Had to look it up. Closest dealer is over 100 miles away.

What the heck did you do to a new mower to have it last only 10 years mowing 1.5 acres? My Husqvarna rider was still in great shape after 10 years and sold it for $1000 to a buddy who was thrilled to get it. I replaced a spindle ($25) when I hit a large rock (my fault), a bad seat switch ($25) and a starter ($60). But I did baby it. Changed the oil every 50 hours, greased it once a year, changed the blades regularly, kept it on a battery tender, always stored in a garage. Only used it on level ground and did not pull a trailer with it. Pulled a tow behind sprayer about 10 times.

I sold the Husky because I hate cutting grass and the ZT does it twice as fast. Plus I have a lot of trees to deal with and the ZT does better with less trimming needed. Just pure laziness on my part.

I would rather have a new $5k mower with a warranty and local dealer support that will last 30 years with periodic maintenance than a used machine that may have been abused and not well maintained. At 70+ YO, my Bad boy will outlive me.
Well, I bought that MTD Troybuilt from Lowes. I didn't baby it, I mowed with it including heavy grass sometimes. The stamped steel axle mounts fell apart, the deck fell apart, the hood assembly fell apart. The drive belt was next to impossible to change although I eventually managed it. I did get my $1500 worth out of it in the end I guess. The Briggs V-Twin was still running strong when the rest of the unit was scrapped.

To each their own, I'm just sharing my experience with a fantastic, well-engineered Walker mower. Did I mention they have about 33 grease zerks and that the blades/spindles etc. are protected by shear screws? The flip-up deck is awesome too. ;)

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #34  
Whatever you get,make sure you can get reliable access to parts and service. Eventually you will need it. Looking at a dealer that can provide service and parts inhouse would be my preference over a place that just retail sells mowers. The big box stores around here all farm out their service to a third party repair place that is weeks behind in service.

I started with a Husqvarna 48" rider and then switched to a Cub Cadet RZT50 50" for mowing the 2 acres around the house, outbuildings, and arena. It was a crapshoot whether I could get it to start and mow everything without having something go wrong mechanically. Plus, I got tired of having to stop and fill it up with gas and the maintenance of a gas engine. I switched to a Kubota ZD1211. Made a big difference. Now mowing is fun. Fill it up every 4th or 5th mowing job, service the engine once a year plus occasional greasing of moving parts.

Now that I am retired, I have expanded my mowing to include another acre under the trees and the 2 acres of horse turnouts. Trying to get the place to looking more like an estate, as we are starting to operate a stained glass business from home. I lucked out and found a Kubota F2560E 72" for $5,000. I put on my 3M Workmates hearing protection with Bluetooth and listen to XM Radio from the cell phone while mowing. Both mowers are 25HP diesel.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #35  
All I know is my F2880 has way more balls than I'll ever need. It eats grass and everything else in it's path, no issue.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #36  
For a flip up deck your choices are very limited, Kubota F series or a JD front mount or a Grasshopper front mount. No mid mount will have that feature.
Country Clipper also offers a flip up deck.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #37  
Country Clipper also offers a flip up deck.

Hustler makes a flip up deck ZTR as well

5fa1c40e6313fd3df8f51ea2_FlipUp_4.jpg

Last edited:
   / What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #38  
I have beaten the crap out of my Gravely 60” HD 160. I would recommend them just because I know how well it cuts and the abuse it takes. I have had mine since 2012, and it has at least half its life left. Gets used for bush hogging, lawn cutting, etc. Tough machine.

That said, if I had to replace it, I would buy a Ferris with their nice suspension system.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #39  
I started with a new 46" Craftsman lawn tractor. Paid $2500 as I recall. Have over 500 hours on it but it took 6 hours to mow my 5 acres with lots of trees, a 1 acre pond and 2 acre field. After 5 years I upgraded to a Hustler 54" Raptor SD zero turn. Paid $4500 for it. Cut mowing time down to 3 hours. Sent the Raptor SD in for warrantee work after 3 years and the dealer let me borrow a demo Hustler 60" X-One zero turn, a commercial unit. Did my 5 acres in just under 2 hours. I called him up and told him he wasn't getting the X-One back, and to write up the paperwork to trade in the SD. Since the X-One was a demo, he sold it to me at 60% of what a new one cost or $6000 which was only $1500 more than what I paid for the SD when it was new. I fully expect it to be the last mower I ever have to buy. Had I been smart, I would not have wasted $7000 on the Craftsman and Hustler SD and simply gone with the X-One in the first place, but in my mind, it was way too much money for a mower. Lesson learned.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower
Nothing that impressive in stock at Tractor Supply. The interesting one said it was in stock, but they didn't have it. Bomgaars had Bad Boy mowers, but they were really proud of them price-wise for what they were.

I'm not sure the suspension thing is going to happen, really trying to keep it $5k or less. There is a Gravely dealer that I might go check out. There is a boat shop in town has a bunch of what look like non big-box mowers, but they're only open during my working hours. Maybe I can take a long lunch some day.

The local JD dealer does have several Z530R's in stock (green deck). It's a bit over my price, but it's green, so more expensive. I do have a bit of a green theme going with my tractors. ZGlide does make front suspension kits for the JD models that are pretty reasonable. There is a bit of an advantage to getting one 10 miles away and I do like to support businesses in the town (it's a regional dealer, of course).

Overwhelming number of choices to be sure.