What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
I think I'm going to upgrade from my riding mower that doesn't cut well. This would be to mow about 1.5ac, including around a lot of trees. I'm probably going to look at 48-54" deck width. I don't need commercial level, but would like something that is still dependable and serviceable.

There are a lot of brands and I know each brand has their various levels of machines. The ground isn't that smooth, so something with a bit of suspension would be nice. From what I've read, most recommend the Kawasaki engines for gas. No interest in electric.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #2  
Lots recommend the My ride Toro system. Make sure to get one with a decent transmission too.
I own a Simplicity Citation XT with the Full suspension. More expensive of course but the ride is excellent and doesn't beat your body up.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower
The my ride thing looks useful. TSC has one in stock here. What makes a decent transmission in these things?

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #4  
The new Stihl ZT mowers have 4 wheel suspension. Make a big difference in ride comfort.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #5  
Look up the different models of transmissions used. I compared transmission and price, and avoided the low end homeowner units.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #7  
My Bad Boy Elite has a suspension. I have the just under 2 acres and lots of tress as well. The 54" deck works well for me, and I can cut in 45-60 minutes.

I came close to the Country Clipper with a joy stick but it did not have the suspension and a lighter gauge deck. I wish had gone with it as having a hand free to swat bugs is something I miss.

For the about the same $$, the Bad Boy is a better machine if lever steering is OK for you. But the joy stick is a neat.

I think a couple of ZT come with steering wheels as well.

Last edited:
   / What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #8  
Personally, I'd rather buy a used eXmark than a new low end unit, prices being equal. A commercial grade unit is going to have smoother hydro drive, a deck built like a tank that will literally last forever, and better ride quality. It'll also be more stable on inclines and will require less maintenance as the years go on.

We are now in our 8th season mowing with our E-series eXmark, doing 3 to 7 acres per week. Still on original spindles, hydro drive, tires, etc. etc. Can't kill these things.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #9  
I have a Scag zero turn that's a beast, but also a nightmare. All my problems have been with the electrical system. Too many safety switches, but I've also replaced every switch, the PTO generator, and even the key. After years of never knowing if it would start, and what I would have to replace to get it to start, I pulled every wire off of it and just installed the minimum that I needed for it to run. Now it starts every time, but I never know how long the belts will stay on when I turn them on. Some days, it's perfect. Other days, it throws a belt when I first try to use it, then it's fine the rest of the day. Yesterday it threw a belt on the third time I tried to start the blades. I grease the pullies about once a month and that seems to help. I greased it yesterday after putting the belts back on and it worked fine after that.

I really like the seat on the Scag, but I saw that the newer ones have a different seat, and it doesn't seem as nice.

I like the Kawasaki engine. It has plenty of power, but Scag does not include any details on the engine in their manuals. If I need a part for the motor, I have to go to a Kawasaki page and look up that engine for parts. I think it should be on the Scag website, but it's not.

The blades are easy to change. Just one bolt that holds the blades on. I can swap blades in just a few minutes.

I don't know what I would buy if I was buying today. From what I've heard, all the brands use the same electrical parts, and that's usually where all the issues are. They work great for a few years, then it's a never ending job of finding the safety switch that's not working so it will start.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #10  
Lots recommend the My ride Toro system. Make sure to get one with a decent transmission too.
I own a Simplicity Citation XT with the Full suspension. More expensive of course but the ride is excellent and doesn't beat your body up.
Didn’t Simplicity drop that one when the Stihl line came out? Both of which are very similar to a Ferris IS series? And isn’t the BS parent dropping Simplicity altogether?
The Ferris 500S is a suspension system “residential mower” but only comes with a 25hp BS. Anything else (that I know of) is offered with just a suspension seat.

For 1.5 acres, wonder if OP has considered a stand-up?