What thread are water heater elements?

/ What thread are water heater elements? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Wondering if anyone knows off the top of their heads what thread heater elements are.

Looking to get a thermometer to put in place of the upper element in my buffer tank for my 2-tank geothermal DHW heating setup.

Going to Menards this afternoon to get the pex and fittings to plumb it and wanted to see what they have

/ What thread are water heater elements? #2  
I believe NPT is standard

/ What thread are water heater elements?
what size is what I was really looking for

/ What thread are water heater elements? #4  
1" NPT I think. See if they have a replacement element there to check.

/ What thread are water heater elements? #5  
I bet menards sells elements. Match it up.

/ What thread are water heater elements? #6  
water heater elements are standard 1" IPS threads.

/ What thread are water heater elements? #7  
I did a little search and it looks like 1"npt is pretty standard for most home water heaters. Did see one that was 1-1/4"npt, but it was a larger 6500 watt.

/ What thread are water heater elements? #8  
Be a bit careful. I believe that the thread in the tank is a straight thread since O-rings or gaskets are used to seal the element. So an NPT tapered pipe or fitting may not easily seal, or seal poorly (leak). For your need I would start with an old element, remove the element and electrical connections with a saw and grinder, weld or braze the holes shut then drill and tap a 1/8" or 1/4" NPT to fit your thermometer. You could also remove the P/T valve on top, which is a 3/4" or 1" NPT and use an adapter to fit the thermometer.

Paul

/ What thread are water heater elements? #9  
Check your tank for an optional T&P plugged pipe fitting on the top of the tank, like mine has.

/ What thread are water heater elements?
Check your tank for an optional T&P plugged pipe fitting on the top of the tank, like mine has.

Tank has the T&P valve. Want to leave it there. Are you saying yours has a second T&P port?