What is the coldest you have ever been ?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #151  
back in the 70's or 80's I was driving a snowmobile in the fall along the shoreline looking for downed logs and I broke through the ice and I got soaked up to my chest.
Don't remember how cold it was that day just that it took most of the afternoon to get back to my truck where I could warm up.
So maybe walking wet for a hour or two. Lighting a fire to warm up wasn't option as supplies went down with the sled.
Wife and I still laugh about it as I remember having to sit to pee for many many days afterwards! (shrunk right up into the body)

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #152  
back in the 70's or 80's I was driving a snowmobile in the fall along the shoreline looking for downed logs and I broke through the ice and I got soaked up to my chest.
Don't remember how cold it was that day just that it took most of the afternoon to get back to my truck where I could warm up.
So maybe walking wet for a hour or two. Lighting a fire to warm up wasn't option as supplies went down with the sled.
Wife and I still laugh about it as I remember having to sit to pee for many many days afterwards! (shrunk right up into the body)
THAT'S cold!!!! And I think we all know what part of your post I'm referring to. :D

You were lucky to survive... except that I don't believe in luck. A lot of people would have given up but you made other choices. 👍

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #153  
It was -20F here (central Ontario) when I was snowblowing yesterday morning. A little crisp, and very refreshing! It is much nicer blowing that cold, dry snow, than wet snow at 35F!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #154  
It was -20F here (central Ontario) when I was snowblowing yesterday morning. A little crisp, and very refreshing! It is much nicer blowing that cold, dry snow, than wet snow at 35F!
People say I'm sick but I miss the days when we had winter for more than a day at a time. The irony is that I work outside all day, whereas most people complain because they are cold while walking from their car to their home, worksite, or WalMart.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #155  
Coldest for me was outside of Nikolai,AK. Helped a friend on his trapline. His cabin thermometer was pegged at 45 below before we took off on the 20 mile trip.

Quite a few times in the 20-30 below range.

IMO, anything colder than 25 below doesn't matter. It sucks

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #156  
I experienced super cold weather the year we lived in Glennallen, AK. -40F. HOWEVER - the coldest I ever FELT was living in Seattle, WA. The wind, the temp and the humidity - - closest I ever came to hypothermia.

In Glennallen - I was dressed for the cold. Looked like the Pillsbury doughboy. In Seattle - I was stupid and stayed outside much longer than how I was dressed.

Last edited:
   / What is the coldest you have ever been ? #157  
Glenallen can be the armpit for weather. I like the community though. Spent more than a few dollars there on my way to Tok.

Big difference in cold...wet vs dry

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #158  
AH - Glennallen - the social hot spot of central Alaska. I'll never forget the Friday movie nights at the I-Bar-F. The object being - stay sober enough so you could watch the end of the movie. One of the local watering holes that was multi-function.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #159  
Ohio Blizzard of 78. Air temperature of -40 and a wind chill of -100. I drove to work at the Cleveland Clinic from Euclid off Highland Rd. IH-90 was shut down, so I took Euclid Ave all the way in. Worst cold I've seen in my life. Not much traffic and I remember running a couple of red lights to keep from stopping in snow drifts. No police or plow trucks were out that early. If they were, they must have been inside drinking coffee somewhere.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #160  
People say I'm sick but I miss the days when we had winter for more than a day at a time. The irony is that I work outside all day, whereas most people complain because they are cold while walking from their car to their home, worksite, or WalMart.
Can't say I like 20+ below for days at a time, but I do miss real winter. And snow. Especially snow.