What is the coldest you have ever been ?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #121  
-56 below F. Occasionally where I’m at it is the coldest place in North America because of our distance from warming oceans and why we refer to the northern portion of Minnesota as the polar peninsula. Anyway, most of the time, a cold day is in the negative thirties or negative twenties warming up to the negative teens.

I couldn't find a really cold photo in my terabytes of photos and video library and life is too short to keep looking. I will say this: today my truck has been plugged into the wall for four hours because I'm going to start it and go grocery shopping this evening.

View attachment 780933

View attachment 780934
We used to fight you guys for the “honor” of that, but we let you guys buy the rights to say that. Doesn’t actually make it true :p Depends on how you measure “
8A4AB7C2-2320-4662-A385-393F3EC96346.jpeg
Coldest“

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #122  
Not really feeling cold, but deer hunting up on the plateau, trudging through snow just before day break. The water vapor had froze out and collected on everything, created these big flake type crystals. It sounded like you were walking through musical glass, tinkling different notes. The sun just broke over the horizon and lit all the crystals up in millions of brilliant rainbows. Very surreal. Didn't see any deer or even tracks but still one of the best.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #123  
January 1987 in Flagstaff, Arizona. Minus 44 F. And a 10-20 mph wind with 37” of snow. Brutal.

Last edited:
   / What is the coldest you have ever been ? #124  
We used to fight you guys for the “honor” of that, but we let you guys buy the rights to say that. Doesn’t actually make it true :p Depends on how you measure “View attachment 780941Coldest“
Look at all that cold air settle right into the valleys.

I like kremmlling. I hit it up whenever rabbit ears is closed and I have to go through that pass I always forget the name of.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #125  
Coldest I remember is a deep snow we had here and like -10F that night. Told wife "let's run around the house naked!" and we did. I outran her and locked the door ...for a minute.
The coldest was me sleeping on a vinyl sofa that night without covers!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #126  
My Open Water SCUBA Instructor exam, at Dutch Springs PA. It was in May and the water temperature was below 50 degrees. We were in the water for hours with just wet suits on. When I came out of the water my chest was purple. I thought it was dye from the wet suit. It turned out that it was blood pooling in my chest to protect my vital organs. lol

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #127  
I owe my life to three friends when I succumbed to hypothermia while backpacking at 10,000 feet in 1982. An August hike above the tree line turned ugly with a snow squall and not the right equipment for the conditions.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #128  
January 6, 1988; the wind was bitter and we set records for cold that day. The other crew of two men dropped me off at the start of my cruise line, promising to pick me up at the end of the day. I rode in standing on the back of a tote sled behind the snowmobile, with one hand over my face to keep from getting frostbite, so really didn't know where I got dropped off. The company wasn't happy with our production so I made up my mind to give them what they wanted... i watched the sun set as I finished my last point, then headed down an old road to the snow sled trail where they were supposed to pick me up.
They didn't show up, so at about 4:30 when I started walking back to the truck. I was beat anyways, and the last thing I needed was another long walk. After a couple of hours I saw a light; but it turned out to be the moon coming up. It was almost 9:00 that night when one of the guys showed up on the snowsled, and gave me a ride for the last 1/2 mile. The warden got there with our other crew member when we got back to the truck. I told them to call Dexter and tell him I was out of the woods; and that I was headed home the next morning.

There are two sides to every story but they said they couldn't get to the pickup point; so after waiting a while they went back to town, called the warden service and our boss to tell them I was lost. I think they just didn't believe me when I told them that I was going to be pushing daylight; and were afraid of missing supper as the restaurant closed around 7:00. I could have been a bit more forgiving if they had gotten me something to eat. Instead I drove 30 more miles to the nearest town, and still couldn't find anything except snacks.

That's the closest I've come to spending a night in the woods... and also the last time that I trusted somebody over my own judgement.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #129  
Between Christmas 70, and New Years 71. Boy Scout winter camp out, at a campground about six miles out of town. We hiked out and got camp set up on the 27th. Overnight it dropped to 30-below, with gale force winds. Wind was high enough that the tent lines were snapping. Frost bit a few fingers retying one on my tent. Litttle AHs I was sharing the tent with wouldn’t get out of their bags, and stand upwind as a wind break.

About 0900, the Scout master decides we should break camp and hike back to town. The older guys helped the younger ones break camp and get packed, before we packed up our gear and headed out. Teh younger kids were sent back in groups of three, with instructions to stop at the Methodist church that sponsored the troop, sign a check in sheet, and call their folks for a ride home. One kid left his group of three and went straight home with out stopping to check in. We got back in with the Scout master and Earnie hadn’t checked in. The Scout master called his folks, and hey hadn’t seen him. We got snowmobiles and went back out to look for him. Searched until dark, with no joy. His parents had come to the church to wait for the searchers to come back in. Next morning we met the Sheriffs Search and rescue guys at the church, had a pancake breakfast, and we went back out to look for Earnie.

Earnie had gone home and gone to bed. When his folks were at teh church worried sick about him, he got up fixed himself a snack, and gone back to bed. After his folks left for the church trhe next morning, he had gotten up, had a bowl of cereal and spent teh day watching tv.

Meantime, I’m out in the subzero getting frost bit on my nose, ears, cheeks, and six toes. His folks went home at the end of the day we spent searching, and there he was on the couch.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #130  
The last two posts sound like a couple of blue falcons.