What is the coldest you have ever been ?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #111  
Back when I was young and dumb, I had to bring hay out to a field where we had cattle with an open cab tractor. I wasn't wearing the right hat when it was close to 0f with a 20 mph wind. After trouble with the tractor, I finally got out of the weather and discovered that both of my ears were frozen solid. They were painful while thawing, but had no problems. A few years later I noticed that my left ear was stiff and my Dr said that it had calcified possibly from being frostbit.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #112  
Froze my ears solid walking to school a long time ago. I thought I was brilliant and put hot water on them. Definitely not brilliant lol . They blistered pretty bad and never got back to there original size they also freeze much more easily. On a lighter side when my dumbo ears are talked about i tell the kids I walked up hill 10 miles both ways in -50 temps and four feet of snow. Lol

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #113  
Nothing compared to the previous frozen body part stories... 45 years ago, I rode a just purchased motorcycle from NYC to Easton, PA in the rain. It was during November. Not freezing weather but Cold, Wet, & Windy. My gloves were soaked, feet were wet, water penetrated my rain suit. Hypothermia happens above freezing... and just as deadly.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #114  
Opening day, Wrigley Field.
Nowhere colder on earth.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #116  
Anybody read a short story by Jack London called ”To Build a Fire”. He is pretty descriptive of how cold it can get.
That's a good story. Also a lesson on why it's not good to be alone in some circumstances. Experience has taught me that it isn't usually the first mistake which gets you; that just makes it easier to do the second and third mistake.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #117  
The coldest I have ever been is when I went heli skiing in Alaska. That moist cold air went right to the bone. I'm use to cold, but a dry cold. That kicked my butt...

2002gal24 -2.jpg

MW Heli-2.jpg

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #118  
-56 below F. Occasionally where I’m at it is the coldest place in North America because of our distance from warming oceans and why we refer to the northern portion of Minnesota as the polar peninsula. Anyway, most of the time, a cold day is in the negative thirties or negative twenties warming up to the negative teens.

I couldn't find a really cold photo in my terabytes of photos and video library and life is too short to keep looking. I will say this: today my truck has been plugged into the wall for four hours because I'm going to start it and go grocery shopping this evening.

IMG_3917.PNG

IMG_3777.JPG

Last edited:
   / What is the coldest you have ever been ? #119  
^^^^
That's cold enough!!!!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #120  
As a pipe welder working on a new power plant. I was about 300 feet in the air on top of the boiler. It was in the single digits on the ground, the wind was blowing off the river too. Had to put my sandwiches inside my coveralls so they wouldn’t freeze. Don’t know what the windchill was that day but it was tough working 7/12’s that winter.