What is the best way to level truck when towing?

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #11  
Over compensating with wd hitch makes poorly loaded trailer dangerous to tow so try distributing weight on trailer. For loads approaching tow vehicle max nothing beats goose neck and fifth wheel.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #12  
I recently upgraded from a 7k to a 12k equipment trailer, and had to change my hitch to a weight distributing type. I also tow a 9k RV that was setup with a weight distributing hitch.

In my case, the F250 requires weight distribution for tongue loads of over 600lbs. Towing light, I do not have to use the spring bars. With heavier loads I adjust the spring bar tension to return the front end to unloaded height (or close to it).

I also have independent air bags on the rear that I have occasionally adjusted the ride height with a heavy load in the bed. I don't change the airbag pressures for towing though. As previously mentioned, bags do not add to the cargo carrying capacity.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing?
Thanks for the replies. I am towing with a 2015 GMC 2500 with tow package. Most of my towing is greater than 300 miles. My last trip I did have the box trailer loaded a bit front heavy which pushed my tongue weight up higher than normal. I was within the cargo capacity for the truck and trailer, just not loaded the best and there wasn't much I could do about it.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #14  
Air bags and weight distribution hitch.

It goes without saying the trailer is properly loaded.

In some cases the WDH may be a requirement for weights involved.

Last edited:
   / What is the best way to level truck when towing? #15  
Load placement on the trailer is the key. Because nothing you can do to the truck VIA helper springs, shocks, air bags, etc will increase its actual capacity. And gives you a false sense of security.

You can always go with the WD hitch.....and just opt not to use it on the boat trailer. Because 750# tongue weight should be no problem for a 2015 3/4-ton

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #16  
I agree with the general idea that air bags, helper springs etc do not really add to the truck capacity. Depending on your truck a weight distribution hitch may be required but your truck may have a true class V hitch, which means in most cases means you won’t need one. You have a decent truck and if you load a trailer correctly you really shouldn’t need anything. They make scales and other things to help you load a trailer to get the correct tongue weight.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #17  
I have never had an issue with those weights on my E350 dually Ford or my 96 Dodge 2500 4WD. But I only go maybe 15 miles on country roads with the heavier of my trailers.
I mainly installed air bags for when we have the slide in camper in the bed and I'm pulling the trailer (bumper pull) with the side by side on it. the air bags mitigate the sway from the wind on the e-way.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #18  
Thanks for the replies. I am towing with a 2015 GMC 2500 with tow package. Most of my towing is greater than 300 miles. My last trip I did have the box trailer loaded a bit front heavy which pushed my tongue weight up higher than normal. I was within the cargo capacity for the truck and trailer, just not loaded the best and there wasn't much I could do about it.
You want 10-15% of trailer weight on the tongue to help prevent sway. For example, for a 7000 lb load you would want the tongue weight between 700-1050 lbs. For an example, watch this video.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #19  
Cause I'm more comfortable towing tongue heavy with a bumper pull trailer on a GMC 2500 I run air helper springs with a combiner valve. Figure it's less prone for future problems and one side is never heavier than the other. Install was simple using existing frame holes, removing OEM bump stops and running airlines. I don't use an onboard compressor but fill bags after it's loaded to level. Need to keep minimum of 5 psi in them at all times never had to add air cause of leaking had on for three or so yrs now, put fill valve next to spare tire lock on bumper, also upgraded shocks to Bilstein.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #20  
I really like timberen I think they are called SES, I had those after having airbags and they are way better, you dont need to add air or balance them out, you dont feel them when you are not loaded. and they are less expensive. a no brainer in my opinion.