What is the best way to level truck when towing?

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #1  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
I'm looking for recommendations on keeping my truck level when towing my various trailers. I have a boat trailer that has about 750 lbs of tongue weight. I have a box trailer that tongue weight varies between 500 and 1200 lbs depending on loading and what I am carrying. I have a flatbed for moving my tractor and tongue weight varies depending on what implements I have on the tractor at the time. Several folks have said the best way to go is with a weight distribution hitch. But the manufacturer of my aluminum framed boat trailer says not to use them. The weights on the box trailer is all over the place and I'm not sure how much readjusting of a WD hitch might be needed. Then there is the option of using an air bag suspension. What does the collective TBN wisdom have to say/recommend?? TIA

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #4  
It depends on what you're towing with. It could be a Subaru Brat for all I know. If it's a half ton, spring over shocks help. Air bags help. Helper springs help. Overload springs help. 3/4 ton should handle all you mentioned.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #5  
It depends on what you're towing with. It could be a Subaru Brat for all I know. If it's a half ton, spring over shocks help. Air bags help. Helper springs help. Overload springs help. 3/4 ton should handle all you mentioned.
I made the mistake of getting rid of my Subaru Brat after 300,000+ miles.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #6  
I have never had an issue with those weights on my E350 dually Ford or my 96 Dodge 2500 4WD. But I only go maybe 15 miles on country roads with the heavier of my trailers.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #7  
Check your gross cargo weight limit and make sure you include any cargo in your truck in your calculation. Adding air bags or springs does not increase your limit. Make sure your hitch is at the same height or slightly higher than the trailer hitch. Mount the ball on a riser or descender (whatever they call it) or adjust the hitch if you have an adjustable one. I can't believe the idiots that I've see towing a trailer with the tongue 6 inches or more higher than the rear of the trailer. Very unsafe.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #8  
Airbags allow you to adjust the height based on what you are hauling or towing.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #9  
   / What is the best way to level truck when towing? #10  
I prefer airbags, I can adjust from empty to loaded and maintain my ride, handling and level. I would recommend not using a T between the bags as separating them helps with side to side roll.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app