What height do you cut grass pastures at?

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
For pure maintenance, what height do you go with to cut your pastures? I’m in VA and have mostly Fescue it seems, I’ll be cutting it for maintenance 2-3 times this year in preparation for our horses and cows to be on it next year. I have been cutting my pastures here in NC at 3.5” or so but don’t know if that’s the best choice for pasture health. I also know that I won’t be able to mow my VA pastures but 2-3 times this year so I have to keep that in mind as well.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #2  
Regularly cut tall fescue is best cut at 3.75 - 4.25. Cutting much higher makes it harder to get a nicely finished lawn, but that's not what you're looking for.
For 2-3 cuts per season, I suspect 4.5" would be a good height. I don't have any experience with a schedule like that though.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #3  
I agree with RjC; 4.5" up to 5" is a good height, especially for horses.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #4  
I like to cut around 7” or 8” tall to leave lots of forage for when actively grazing.

However, I might cut a bit shorter if not grazing, but not less than say 5”.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #5  
We cut 4-5 inches from ground,better for animals also if there summer dry spell.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #6  
Might be worth reading, the university extension offices often have quite a bit to offer. Penn State and Kentucky are favorites of mine.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #7  
For pure maintenance, what height do you go with to cut your pastures? I’m in VA and have mostly Fescue it seems, I’ll be cutting it for maintenance 2-3 times this year in preparation for our horses and cows to be on it next year. I have been cutting my pastures here in NC at 3.5” or so but don’t know if that’s the best choice for pasture health. I also know that I won’t be able to mow my VA pastures but 2-3 times this year so I have to keep that in mind as well.

I usually pasture clip at about 4" or so, the skids are about an inch off the ground.

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #8  
I'm also cutting at 4" normally, unless one of my customers requests something specific.

For a very heavy weed field, I may go shorter the first cut, if I'm going to be back relatively soon to cut again (weed mitigation on a bad field).

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #9  
I normally cut the fields to 4" to 4.5" .

/ What height do you cut grass pastures at? #10  
In TX we are all coastal bermuda. We always cut height to head the weeds (I consider bahia grass a weed). We do produce hay off of the place though...so we would never cut the bermuda down unless we are baling it.