What does this do?

/ What does this do? #1  

Quantumkev

Tractor
Ford 4500 Industrial Loader/Backhoe
First post!
I just bought an OLD Ford 4500 Backhoe/loader and the valve packs for the loader and backhoe are different to any others I have seen. They seem to have an additional isolation valve. Was wondering if this is common, and what is the purpose. Pics attached so you can see what I am talking about.

Appreciate any help/comments you can give!!!

Attachments

• E045AA2C-9B63-4A4E-B07D-BC1381DBBA07.jpeg
    E045AA2C-9B63-4A4E-B07D-BC1381DBBA07.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 423
  • 3F73BE6C-2F4F-47C1-AC0C-9D64B1130121.jpeg
    3F73BE6C-2F4F-47C1-AC0C-9D64B1130121.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 223
   / What does this do? #2  
Looks like a diverter but it may be used as a speed valve. That's just a guess though.

/ What does this do? #3  
Question #1 Is the valve at the backhoe spring centered and where do the hoses go?

Question #2 Does the selector valve on the loader control the backhoe? I used to work for a Ford dealer years ago and have operated the 4500's but it's been way too many years. I do remember the selector valve but don't remember what it does.

/ What does this do?
Question #1 Is the valve at the backhoe spring centered and where do the hoses go? - It doesn't seem to have a center, it is just two positions, either "On" or "Off"

Question #2 Does the selector valve on the loader control the backhoe? I used to work for a Ford dealer years ago and have operated the 4500's but it's been way too many years. I do remember the selector valve but don't remember what it does. - No. Power comes off the hydraulic pump, and goes towards the backhoe. The line splits and goes to the loader and backhoe from the same high pressure line. It goes directly onto the loader controls, but it goes through "something" else, photo attached of what it goes through, and then it goes "through" the valve that is the subject of this message (see photo in first post), and then finally it delivers power to the backhoe.

Let me know if I can provide any more information.

/ What does this do?
Sorry, forgot to add photo for the post above. See attached.

Connections on this valve are

Inlet on the left, is high pressure directly from the hydraulic pump.

Outlet on the right, delivers high pressure to the valve that is the subject of this post.

Outlet on the bottom is drain to tank

(I assume this valve is some kind of pressure regulator?)

Attachments

• 5180D26B-747B-4482-A3F6-8757567446A0.jpeg
    5180D26B-747B-4482-A3F6-8757567446A0.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 102
   / What does this do? #6  
Sorry, forgot to add photo for the post above. See attached.

Connections on this valve are

Inlet on the left, is high pressure directly from the hydraulic pump.

Outlet on the right, delivers high pressure to the valve that is the subject of this post.

Outlet on the bottom is drain to tank

(I assume this valve is some kind of pressure regulator?)
As a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) I would say its a pressure relief valve....

/ What does this do? #7  
The last pic looks like a relief of some kind that is feeding the other valve on the backhoe.

IT dont look original.

Where do the hoses off the valve go? Does the backhoe have some other attachment like a hydraulic thumb?

Have you tried running the machine and operating that valve and see what it does?

I'd replace a few of them hoses....dont like that location of that hose loop and valve when sitting on the backhoe operating. Makes me cringe

/ What does this do? #8  
First post!
I just bought an OLD Ford 4500 Backhoe/loader and the valve packs for the loader and backhoe are different to any others I have seen. They seem to have an additional isolation valve. Was wondering if this is common, and what is the purpose. Pics attached so you can see what I am talking about.

Appreciate any help/comments you can give!!!
the first picture shows a lever operated directional valve that is connected directly to the pressure port via the gray hose. Where does the black hose go? This valve could be by-passing all the pump flow to some other function.

Second picture shows what appears to be a push-pull diverter valve. What do the lines going to that valve connect to?

/ What does this do?
Based on the first pictures, the outlet of the pump connects to what I think is a pressure relief valve via the stainless steel tube you see coming in in the bottom left of the picture. I assume what is going on in that valve is the pressure from the pump passes straight through that valve, and then if the pressure spikes it bleeds off through this pressure relief valve through the raggedy looking hose coming out the bottom of that relief valve. (Second to bottom left in the picture).

But the main line from the pump comes out of the relief valve via the grey looking hose and into what you call the pressure port of the lever operated directional control valve. The black hose from this then connects onto the backhoe. From what I have seen these two valves have been added on and are not standard. From what I can tell the black hose connects onto the back hoe where on standard equipment the pressure line from the pump normally connects.

So this appears to be an “on/off” switch for hydraulic fluid. It either allows fluid to pass to the backhoe controls, or it “dead heads” the hydraulic pump against this valve until the pressure relief valve starts passing fluid.

I have no idea what the purpose/intent of these two valves is….

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

I will get more pictures next time I get over to the hoe, and I will work on a schematic

/ What does this do? #10  
Based on the first pictures, the outlet of the pump connects to what I think is a pressure relief valve via the stainless steel tube you see coming in in the bottom left of the picture. I assume what is going on in that valve is the pressure from the pump passes straight through that valve, and then if the pressure spikes it bleeds off through this pressure relief valve through the raggedy looking hose coming out the bottom of that relief valve. (Second to bottom left in the picture).

But the main line from the pump comes out of the relief valve via the grey looking hose and into what you call the pressure port of the lever operated directional control valve. The black hose from this then connects onto the backhoe. From what I have seen these two valves have been added on and are not standard. From what I can tell the black hose connects onto the back hoe where on standard equipment the pressure line from the pump normally connects.

So this appears to be an “on/off” switch for hydraulic fluid. It either allows fluid to pass to the backhoe controls, or it “dead heads” the hydraulic pump against this valve until the pressure relief valve starts passing fluid.

I have no idea what the purpose/intent of these two valves is….

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

I will get more pictures next time I get over to the hoe, and I will work on a schematic
You are doing yourself zero favors with your description. Sorry to put it bluntly.

We can see the relationship between what we assume us a PRV and the valve on the BH. Those are pictured.

But when you say the steel line is coming from the pump........

Is it coming directly from the pump? Are you sure its a pump? Or are you just assuming since its a hardline and doesnt go to the hoe anywhere that its the inlet and comes from pump somehow?

And then the black hose exiting the control valve....you say:
From what I can tell the black hose connects onto the back hoe where on standard equipment the pressure line from the pump normally connects
That is 100% ZERO HELP.

WHERE does it go? To the backhoe valve? What port? Labeled P, Or IN? Somewhere else? MAybe a picture showing where it goes?