What do you think was the issue?

/ What do you think was the issue? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I have a MY 2011 4720 cab. I keep it in my shop but left it outside due to the snow and planning to use it the next morning. it was a windy night and got down into the teens. the next morning the thing would not start. I used all the correct starting steps and it always starts. I let it sit in the sun for a few hours, kept cranking but would not fire up, I hooked up a battery charger and after about 10 separate tries - it started to crank faster and then with a lot of black heavy smoke...it fired up.

my guess is that a fuel line had frozen, but I treat the fuel for that - service and maintenance is done over and above what is needed - it has about 260 hours. I would just like to have some ideas as to what when wrong so I know better...

/ What do you think was the issue? #2  
Did you push in on the key to preheat the air prior to rolling the engine with starter per owners manual?

Had similar thing happen once few yrs ago and it never happened again. Suspect water in fuel filter but not positive.

/ What do you think was the issue? #3  
It was just mad that you left it outdoors!If your building is heated you may have created some condensation in the fuel tank and yes your fuel was probably jelled.If you don't have one ,you may want to invest in a block heater.Doesn't help with the fuel jelling but will turn over much easier.Also keep your tank filled in the cold weather.

/ What do you think was the issue? #4  
Gell diesel would be my first look.

TBN member Ovrszd has good advice.
"Never, never, never trust a fuel supplier when they say their fuel is "Winterized". Never. Treat your fuel as if it's straight Summer blend Number 2 Diesel."

/ What do you think was the issue?
thanks all - and yes i pushed in the key to add to the pre heat and do treat the fuel with JD winter treatment - i guess it was just mad.

/ What do you think was the issue? #6  
Black heavy smoke usually means too much fuel, OR NOT ENOUGH AIR, check you air filter, maybe slightly frozen???

/ What do you think was the issue? #7  
My 4520 started much harder than normal and was smoking like a coal train yesterday after 3 days of snow removal. I pulled the air cleaner and it was an ice cube. I would have to agree with rayclar, check your filter. I keep a spare on hand just in case.

/ What do you think was the issue?
My 4520 started much harder than normal and was smoking like a coal train yesterday after 3 days of snow removal. I pulled the air cleaner and it was an ice cube. I would have to agree with rayclar, check your filter. I keep a spare on hand just in case.

very interesting.

/ What do you think was the issue? #9  
i also think that the old girl was just pissed off at you for leaving her outside....... try to do the same thing with the wife and see how hard shell be to get started.

just saying is all

/ What do you think was the issue? #10  
i also think that the old girl was just pissed off at you for leaving her outside....... try to do the same thing with the wife and see how hard shell be to get started.

just saying is all

Mine would not be hard to get started, now hard to get stopped, yes. And people would also complain about the sudden tropical feel to the community from all the heat being generated.