4100 No Crank

/ 4100 No Crank #1  

rathman

My son was moving some stuff around the yard, tractor was running fine, he put it in neutral (it's a hydro) and when he got off the seat it died. Turn key and no crank. Here's what I've tried/learned so far:
  • Turning on the key the dash lights up
  • Turn key to start position and nothing happens
  • Fuses all okay
  • Seat safety switch appears to be working. With key on, press switch and hear solenoid "click" under hood, press switch and read 12V at the neutral safety switch
  • Neutral safety switch appears to be working, or at least when I jumper it out there is no change in the no-crank condition
  • I've not checked the PTO safety switch but the PTO is off
  • I can jumper the starter solenoid and it cranks, if I press down the seat safety switch while doing this it gets fuel (white diesel smelling smoke coming out of exhaust) but doesn't start
Not sure what to try next?

/ 4100 No Crank #5  
You’ve got fuel and ignition checked out so far. Question from JD mechanic. Have you circumvented the seat switch to see if it’s faulty? He thinks that is the most likely culprit as you checked the other switches.

/ 4100 No Crank
I don't know exactly how to bypass the seat switch. It has 4 wires. 1 or them is 12v with the key on. One goes down to the neutral safety switch and when I press the seat switch it does connect the 12v to the neutral switch. I'm not sure exactly which of the 4 contacts in the seat switch connector need to be jumpered.

/ 4100 No Crank #7  
Move the hydro pedals just a little to engage the starter circuit. If they are a bit off, you get the condition you describe.

/ 4100 No Crank
Move the hydro pedals just a little to engage the starter circuit. If they are a bit off, you get the condition you describe.
Sadly no. I wish it was that easy but I tried that and still no crank.

/ 4100 No Crank
It was the seat switch. Found this picture on another forum for the bypass, made a proper jumper with spade terminals and I'm back up and running while I wait for the new switch. Thanks nebraskasparks!
1714087738188.png

/ 4100 No Crank #10  
Just got in. Sorry for the late reply. I’ll thank my John Deere Mechanic friend