What are you using to lube your implements and tractors?

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #31  
Not going there. I stated what WD (Water Dispersant) 40 is good for and I'll leave it at that. Every one of my pto sliding shaft inners have grease fittings on them for a reason.
As far as I'm concerned all that greasing a pto shaft does is make it hard to remove. The grease collects dust/dirt and migrates it into the tubes. To the point that you can't move the shaft by hand at all.

That's when I get a call. Hey can you get my PTO shaft off for me? WD-40 might very well not be a lubricant but it works.

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #32  
As far as I'm concerned all that greasing a pto shaft does is make it hard to remove. The grease collects dust/dirt and migrates it into the tubes. To the point that you can't move the shaft by hand at all.

That's when I get a call. Hey can you get my PTO shaft off for me? WD-40 might very well not be a lubricant but it works.
I don't get where he thinks it's not a lubricant. Always seems to provide some lubrication to me when I used it before switching to Amsoil MP.

WD-40 Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #33  
I don't get where he thinks it's not a lubricant. Always seems to provide some lubrication to me when I used it before switching to Amsoil MP.

WD-40 Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything
I think it depends on how a person defines "lubricant". Water works pretty good as a lube for some machining ops.
From what I use it for, WD40 is pretty clearly got some oiliness to it. That makes it a decent short term lube to me - but not to everyone I guess. Lasts just about long enough to sharpen a knife on a whet stone.

It's OK by me that WD40 doesn't last long. I follow the WD40 with something else.

I've got a a little bitty "Eagle" brand pump oil can with gear lube in it. Works nice for the straight-cut gears on the lathe. That's probably lube in everyone's book.

My old machine shop teacher swore by rendered lard. He put it on gears with a brush. Just thinking about the smell takes me back half a century.
rScotty

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #34  
The only thing cheap clay base grease does is clog up your zerk fittings plus it's hell to get off of anything once it dries.
Couldn't agree more - but back up a generation and all we had was clay-based greases. They are still real popular because they are cheap and still sold at every automotive store. Put the wrong ones together - something that is almost inevitable in old machines, and they can sure solidify between shaft and bushing - and in the zerks, too.
I've got a frozen bushing right now on our very old JD310 loader.....and I know just what it is.
rScotty

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #35  
Tractor Supply grease and a Dewalt grease gun.
20220222_105618.jpg

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #36  
I use Lucas 'red and tacky' on just about everything.

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #37  
Tractor Supply grease and a Dewalt grease gun.
View attachment 797612
The Bauer20 volt cordless is the mirror image of the DeWalt for a lot less but something I'm not interested in anyway. I find them to be messy and they don't hold much grease anyway. Never been a tube grease person, in fact, I bulk load the lever guns I keep with my implements.

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #38  
WD 40 is NOT a lubricant. It's a moisture disperst and has no long term lubricating qualities. Besides, it stinks....lol I use Fluid Film on my battery terminals and that is about it.
stands for Water Dispersement - took them 40 trys to get it right

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #39  
The Bauer20 volt cordless is the mirror image of the DeWalt for a lot less but something I'm not interested in anyway. I find them to be messy and they don't hold much grease anyway. Never been a tube grease person, in fact, I bulk load the lever guns I keep with my implements.
I tried using my manual grease gun, but between the loader and the backhoe it was just much easier and faster to use the battery powered gun. There are just too many grease fittings to do manually in my opinion. I bought the Dewalt because I have other Dewalt tools that use the same battery.

/ What are you using to lube your implements and tractors? #40  
Amen to new full synthetic greases. My latest trailer purchase had some old school farm what ever grease packed in. I pulled every suspension zerk and drilled out what nearly looked like clay. Then hit them with oil followed by grease to blow the ports clean. The hubs had grease. Half old and dry looking other half goopy mess.