Welding while wearing contact lens

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Back in high school agriculture class, I learned to arc weld. Back then, we were told to not wear contact lens while welding. With today's auto darkening hoods, can you wear contacts with no effects on the contact lens and you eyes?
hugs, Brandi

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #2  
I wore soft contacts for 30 years. Never had issues welding. I would get your eye doctor's opinion with regarding the auto darkening. You are dealing with the speed of light on the auto darkening. The electrical circuits are operating a little slower than light. Some will get through.

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #3  
I too wore soft contacts for over 40 years. The last 15 with auto dark hoods. No probs for me.
Had eye cataract surgery lately so no longer able to use poor vision as an excuse for ugly beads.
Terry

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #4  
From page 3 of this article - https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2007/02/Preventing-Eye-Injuries-When-Welding.aspx?Page=3

"Some guidelines and safety warnings for welding suggest workers should not wear contact lenses, even though there does not appear to be any research that would support such a recommendation. In fact, the National Safety Council, the American Welding Society, and the FDA all acknowledge that wearing contact lenses while welding is safe and even can provide UV protection. The only caveat is that contact lenses should not be used as eye protection in place of safety glasses or goggles."

Also, from thefabricator.com - "Regarding contact lenses, OSHA, the American Welding Society (AWS), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Safety Council (NSC) all acknowledge that wearing contacts while welding is safe in many cases, unless fumes, excessive particles, or other regulations bar their use. Contact lenses, however, don't serve a safety function; welders should wear goggles or glasses with contact lenses to ensure proper eye protection."

I'm nearsighted and wasn't allowed to use contacts for the last 35 years before retirement, but that was because of occasional chemical fumes - chlorine, for example, will mix with fluids in the eye and you end up with hydrochloric acid between eye and contact.

Been welding off and on for the past 50 years, and had more problems with grinding getting stuff in my eyes than anything else.

Sounds like you'll be fine, but I second the use of safety goggles, especially when grinding/wire brushing, etc... Steve

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #5  
Brandi
I like this for an eye wash station: aerosol saline. Also for flushing wounds. No security seals to deal with. Always ready to go.
Terry

image-2531830858.jpg

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #6  
Back in high school agriculture class, I learned to arc weld. Back then, we were told to not wear contact lens while welding. With today's auto darkening hoods, can you wear contacts with no effects on the contact lens and you eyes?
hugs, Brandi

An old wive's tale. Anybody that tells you such needs a good swift kick on the backside .

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #7  
Had eye cataract surgery lately so no longer able to use poor vision as an excuse for ugly beads.
Why not!:confused: I had cataract surgery years ago. I still blame my eye sight for bad welds. And if someone really questions that, I tell them the sun was in my eyes!:D

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #8  
Why not!:confused: I had cataract surgery years ago. I still blame my eye sight for bad welds. And if someone really questions that, I tell them the sun was in my eyes!:D

Prior to my eye surgery I blamed everything on them!

Eg: typical Big Barn household conversation--
Daughter "How could you forget to pack my lunch AGAIN?"
Me ".....cataracts."

Terry

/ Welding while wearing contact lens #9  
Prior to my eye surgery I blamed everything on them!

Eg: typical Big Barn household conversation--
Daughter "How could you forget to pack my lunch AGAIN?"
Me ".....cataracts."

Terry
Oh I'm gonna use that! Thanks! :cool2:

/ Welding while wearing contact lens
Thanks for the replies. I do, indeed, wear safety glasses when grinding and on anything that can throw stuff at your eyes. At work, we have to keep safety glasses handy at arm's length. I always blamed my bad beads on having to use right handed equipment.:laughing::thumbsup::D
hugs, Brandi