Replacement lens & backup helmet?

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
Went to do some practice today out in the frosty cold shop & my Miller Digital Elite auto-darkening helmet wouldn't power on. Replaced the battery & still nothing. Promptly realized there are 2 batteries & vaguely only remember replacing 1 the last time a few years ago. 1 3v battery was about 1v & the other 2.3v, so likely only replaced one last time, or one just died a lot harder this time. So hoping I just need another new battery I don't have on hand at the moment. Ordering new batteries now & generally being annoyed.

So I proceed to dig out my 10-15 year old Northern tool helmet I keep around as a backup. Auto-darkening lens in it is dead to. Poke around & there is no user serviceable way to change the batteries. Kind of impressed it lasted as long as it did actually, although I have no idea when it died. I've had to replace batteries in the Miller at least once & it's probably half it's age. Pull the lens assembly apart & the batteries (same size as my Miller helmet batteries) are welded to the tabs. I can solder, but am not setup to weld battery tabs, so likely to never put it back together. No welding today for me.

Backup helmet thoughts:
Any other recommendations?

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #2  
I've had good luck buying chinese lens replacements with solar and replaceable battery off ebay. Cheap enough to have spares on hand. Seem to get 5 years out of a $10 part.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet?
   / Replacement lens & backup helmet? #4  
I put my uber-expensive Jackson lens into the least expensive Jackson helmet to make a sleeper in the hopes that it doesn't grow legs and run away. As I wrote up in my review,

"This is a sturdy, quality helmet featuring the same helmet retention system as Jackson's more expensive auto-darkening helmets. The best thing about this helmet is that it will accept Jackson's TrueSight II lens allowing your $300+ lens to go incognito on the Jobsite."

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #5  
   / Replacement lens & backup helmet? #6  
Like Welding Lens Filter DIN9-DIN13 Darkening Cover Solar -10℃~65℃ 1.5 X 10 | eBay ? See a pile of ones identicle to that. The big black knob on the lens a door for a replaceable battery? Not labeled on most of them.
I don't see any of that model with US shipping. Mid to late February from China is some of the vendors' estimates. But with Covid exploding in China right now, it might take longer.

I found a $13 one with similar dimensions, and shipping from New Jersey. No idea if quality or precise dimensions are the same.

I didn't look on Amazon. There might be a better match there, and some reviews too.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #7  
   / Replacement lens & backup helmet?
I don't see any of that model with US shipping. Mid to late February from China is some of the vendors' estimates. But with Covid exploding in China right now, it might take longer.

I found a $13 one with similar dimensions, and shipping from New Jersey. No idea if quality or precise dimensions are the same.

I didn't look on Amazon. There might be a better match there, and some reviews too.
Definitely worth gambling $13 or so rather than re-welding tabs on non-removable batteries. Pulled the trigger. Hopefully the new batteries show up today or tomorow & fix the much more expensive Miller.

How do people store their helmets? I try to keep it in the garage (drawer) in my welding cart to keep the dust off. It has solar cells on it to allegedly charge up the batteries, but those obviously don't work in a dark drawer. Seems like a trade off between keeping it clean or replacing batteries more often.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #9  
Mine sits on the welder with solar getting morning sun, but it does have a dusty screen....

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #10  

On the helmet you linked to, the classification is the same as the best glass.

Optical Classification1/1/1/1

On the other hand, I've never heard of non-replaceable batteries in a welding helmet. I replace my batteries about every two or three years.