Welding on Tractor

/ Welding on Tractor #11  
Yup, been there done that.....

Greasy, oily shop rag (paper) was near my weld area....splater found that. I was wondering why I smelled smoke...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Stopped welding and looked down... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The other time, my buddy was welding and sparks lit his jeans on fire....bottoms were freyed....... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Welding on Tractor #12  
OK, I'll post a story too, since it is closely related.

It's not just welding you need to watch out for. Last year I was doing a fair bit of grinding on a piece of metal and lit a box of rags on fire. At one point I smelled a bit of smoke and looked around but didn't see anything. It isn't unusual for a neighbor to be burning garbage or something, so I didn't think much of it and continued grinding. A few minutes later I paused to stretch and rest a bit. When I turned around, there were small flames coming out of a small box of old rags. The box was a good 10 feet away from me, but I guess the sparks from grinding were landing right in it, or at least enough to get things smoldering. If I hadn't seen the fire soon enough, or worse if I had left the garage earlier when I just smelled a bit of smoke, it could have been nasty. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So, watch where ALL of your sparks are going - welding or grinding.

/ Welding on Tractor #13  
I've set my own clothing on fire with sparks from grinding, I'm now much more careful where the kerf goes!

/ Welding on Tractor #14  
Welding on my trailer, started a small grass fire. My boss started laughing as I pulled off my shirt and started beating down the fire. Was only a 6sq ft area but got my blood pumping. My only question to him was WTF are you doing just standing there? Never got a good answer from him /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Welding on Tractor #15  
Started a fire in a wheat field....if 6 feet gets the heart agoin'....look at 300 acres of wheat stubble!!! Kept it to 40 feet....but I thought I was gonna DIE!!! Turns out the wife set the same field on fire before we met.....she never mentioned that...found about it from the neighbors when I was tellin my story!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif