Welding on Tractor

/ Welding on Tractor #1  

JJPWAus

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TS1910, JD110
I am currently building a loader for my Iseki TS1910 and am at the point where I need to weld up some of the components with the loader mounted on the tractor. I have disconnected the battery and will put the return clamp as close to the weld area as possible.
I'll shield the fuel lines etc, when welding. Do I need to do anything further?? Better to be safe than sorry!
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

/ Welding on Tractor #2  
Watch the sparks and you'll be fine.Never hurts to stop once in a while and look for fires,also smart to have an extinguisher handy.We like pictures!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Welding on Tractor #3  
Ditto on the sparks. Don't ask me how I know! Be especially watchful around the plastic. It lights up pretty good & makes a big mess as it burns/melts away.

/ Welding on Tractor #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am currently building a loader for my Iseki TS1910 and am at the point where I need to weld up some of the components with the loader mounted on the tractor. I have disconnected the battery and will put the return clamp as close to the weld area as possible.
I'll shield the fuel lines etc, when welding. Do I need to do anything further?? Better to be safe than sorry!
Any input would be greatly appreciated. )</font>

cover all the glass. splatter loves to stick to it.

/ Welding on Tractor #5  
make sure you ground to the tractor frame or the piece you are welding, you dont want to be grounding through bearings. make sure cylinder rods are protected.

/ Welding on Tractor #6  
Very Good advice above -
Don't forget to protect the TIRES.
And yes we want pictures.

/ Welding on Tractor #7  
My most exiting welding story happened because I had a grease rag lying around under what I was welding on. I had used it to clean up with.

Of course it cought on fire from the sparks and scared me more then it caused any damage.

By the time I noticed the fire, it was much larger then you'd think from such a small rag. The grease and oil really got it going!!

/ Welding on Tractor #8  
to protect your paint I'd throw a piece of canvas over the hood to protect it from the slag and sparks thrown off from welding and grinding. DON'T TIE IT ON!! that way you can yank it off if it should catch on fire.

/ Welding on Tractor #9  
I would disconnect the battery first !!
Then put your ground clamp very close to the actual welding spot.
Tractor Ernie

/ Welding on Tractor #10  
Caught a greasy forklift on fire once....love the proximity to a propane tank!! Welding in a dry cleaning plant isfun...presses are always full of lint AND grease...and they are close to each other so when one "poofs",the next few down the line follow suit....Quick way to clean 'em out....not recommended by the manufacturer though /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif