Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #201  
Oh, I wanted to go with a gooseneck... but my father almost started crying since his F150 wouldn't be able to pull it. He wins. I'll stay bumper pull.

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #202  
Just talked to the fellow and already got the quote. Missing on the quote is the de-rate the 15,000 gross build to 9,995 and also missing is the rear drop legs for loading equipment. There is also a 3% cash discount, so assume around $300 off for cash. View attachment 696440View attachment 696438View attachment 696439
I never payed attention to the literature of them when I was shopping for a dump.....but I gotta wonder what the point of 3-stage cylinders are on a dual ram setup where everyone else just uses single stage cylinders?

HAve you given suretrac a look. Im happy with mine. But that seems pretty pricy for an "appalachian".

I know upgrades cost $$$. But my 7x12 12k was $6400OTD about 3-4 years ago. I know they make a 7x14 16k with scissor lift. Not sure what they cost though

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #203  
I never payed attention to the literature of them when I was shopping for a dump.....but I gotta wonder what the point of 3-stage cylinders are on a dual ram setup where everyone else just uses single stage cylinders?

HAve you given suretrac a look. Im happy with mine. But that seems pretty pricy for an "appalachian".

I know upgrades cost $$$. But my 7x12 12k was $6400OTD about 3-4 years ago. I know they make a 7x14 16k with scissor lift. Not sure what they cost though
Okay... this is the Appalachian Special. It's $1,100 more than the top line contactor model.

This Appalachian Special gets 3" drop axles, 3 stage 3" cylinders that are front mounted and yet give greater than 45° dump angle.

The standard Appalachian gets the mid mounted cylinders that reach back towards the pivot point. This is a front mounted that reaches about 1/4 way back from the front. That gives this massive mechanical advantage over the standard setup.

In these photos you'll see the red painted cylinders that are all of the standard Appalachian dump designs, then you'll see the silver painted showing the Appalachian Special with its commercial style design.... similar to semi dumps. View attachment 696451
Screenshot_20210428-101110_Gmail.jpg
View attachment 696452

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #204  
Just talked to the fellow and already got the quote. Missing on the quote is the de-rate the 15,000 gross build to 9,995 and also missing is the rear drop legs for loading equipment. There is also a 3% cash discount, so assume around $300 off for cash. View attachment 696440

Just for comparison purposes....

2021 PJ Trailers 14K Low-Profile Dump PRO (DL) 14' D140 | Fayette Trailers LLC

2021 Load Trail DT14 83" x 14' dump (14K) - 24" Sides LTD140 | Fayette Trailers LLC

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #205  
I would go gn. I have a 7x14 4 foot sides 14k bumper. I've had it at 14k plenty and we'll over that once. With weight distributing hitch its not horrible when at full gross but my f150 is rated right at 14k gross trailer.
Sway isn't bad except uneven country roads gets sketchy at 60.
My application with a f150 doesn't justify gn but being a 250 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Less people asking to borrow trailer when you tell them they can't use your truck period.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #206  

Not sure why the red cylinder set up didn't come... but this is the non Appalachian Special set up.
Screenshot_20210428-101127_Gmail.jpg

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #207  
Cannot view attachment?

But my thought was not even using the ramps.

A 24' equipment hauler with a dove.....the MX and my mini are 99% of my trailering. Neither need ramps. So if they are stand up ramps....they have to be used. But if they are stow-away ramps.....they aren't in the way and I can load /unload with one less step. Yet still have them for the 1% of the time I haul something different
I used to drive my tractor on my car trailer but my 14k sits higher and no dovetail it couldn’t be done at least very good. Do you plan on blocking the rear of the trailer? The ramps at least the fold down ones provide support. I hate using the slide in ramps on my dump trailer. They’re a nuisance to deal with and they’re heavy.

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #208  
Kaufman builds a lot of 22’ instead of 20’ trailers, too.
I drive past Them every time I go out to our lake house... and again when I drive home. A name I see a lot around the DFW area on trailers too.

I have 2 GN’s. A home/shop built “skateboard” & a “shoebox” (forgot brand name & it’s an ex-bread delivery unit) that are both 32’. Skateboard is a flat deck with 2 sets of ramps & twin 7K single wheel axles it’s a 14K load.
Shoebox is north of that. I forgot if it’s twin 8 or 10K axles.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #209  
I drive past Them every time I go out to our lake house... and again when I drive home. A name I see a lot around the DFW area on trailers too.

I have 2 GN’s. A home/shop built “skateboard” & a “shoebox” (forgot brand name & it’s an ex-bread delivery unit) that are both 32’. Skateboard is a flat deck with 2 sets of ramps & twin 7K single wheel axles it’s a 14K load.
Shoebox is north of that. I forgot if it’s twin 8 or 10K axles.
Maybe it's a regional thing??? But what the heck is a breadbox and skateboard when talking about trailers?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #210  
Maybe it's a regional thing??? But what the heck is a breadbox and skateboard when talking about trailers?
Usually those are nicknames for short or stubby trailers, but 32’ isn’t all that short, unless he means overall length?