Vehicles that require premium gas

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Curious about your opinions. I'm a diesel guy, but recently bought a VW Tiguan SUV. It has the 2.0 liter turbo engine. It says it requires premium gas.

I rarely drive it as I am always using the trucks, and when I do, I'm not throttling on it. Nor does it get really hot here in the summers compared to the south.

So I'm wondering......is it really necessary? We also do not have ethanol here.

I have been putting premium in it, but a couple times filled it with regular when it was WAY cheaper. I noticed no difference in fuel mileage or power. Actually it seemed harder on gas with premium.

Thoughts?

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #3  
You won't have detonation because the computer will adjust the timing and mixture to stop if it it detects pinging. The performance will be lower with regular, but it won't hurt anything and you may not notice the difference. All cars sold in the US, as I understand it, must be able to run on regular, but some will perform better on premium. Especially turbocharged engines.

The increase in performance has nothing to do with the fuel having more energy in it. It doesn't. It just has more antiknock additives.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #4  
My F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost states it's fine to run regular but for optimum performance run premium. Typically the only time you're going to tell a difference is if you are constantly putting the engine under higher loads (uphill, towing, flogging it, etc) otherwise I save a few bucks and put regular in. In your case though if the manual states to run premium then you probably need to do it. You are sure it says "required" and not "recommended"...? Could you get by running regular? Probably...but if something happens to the motor and the dealer takes a sample from the tank you might be held responsible.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #5  
I like using premium gas for best power and use that exclusively in my bimmer per manufacturer instructions. My F150 says regular and ethanol additive okay. Still like to step up a notch and not use the lowest octane gas. Been good luck for me.

Last edited:
   / Vehicles that require premium gas #6  
Some cars say "premium recommended" Others say "Use premium gas" or the like which is more like "required". Of course most say nothing still, and you can put whatever you want in. High compression engines may truly require premium. What does your say on the fuel gage?

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #7  
My BMW motorcycle say - "use premium- Use of regular is OK on a limited basis". I alway use premium.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #8  
Premium in my State is lower than what my car is use to but OK...

It will run on regular but the difference in performance is most noticeable.

The HP generated is less with lower octane.

BMW told me the premium in Germany were I bought the car is superior to California premium and I found it to be true.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #9  
I keep it simple. I like a wide variety of fuel choices that I can select based on prevailing pump prices. I have grown fond of flex fuel gas vehicles for that reason. And I wouldn't consider a vehicle that requires or even recommends premium. Just not a good value. No vehicle being made today really impresses me anyway, I only get what will provide the best solution for what I need and offer the best value. And anything needing premium is not even considered.

/ Vehicles that require premium gas #10  
If you are using high octane fuel in an engine that is tuned for regular, you are wasting money. The term "premium" or "super" or whatever is misleading.

ITs NOT a purer gas, its not more highly refined, its NOT more potent or more powerful , or any other myths commonly spread around the internet.

Fact is....high octane simply means they put MORE stuff in there to make the gas not as "Explosive". Yep....plain ol low octane is easier to ignite/burn. Not sure what 35 letter word for the chemical/compound they are currently using, but back in the day it was lead. Yep, they added MORE lead to gas to get a higher octane rating.

Making gas harder to ignite, means the engine can be built with higher compression, or forced induction, and ignition timing advanced, and not cause any pre-ignition/detonation issues.

IF the engine isnt designed with high octane gas in mind.....you get no benefit at all. Just a lighter wallet.

It used to be if the engine required it, it was a must. But modern engine controls can make an engine run on just about anything my messing with the timing and other parameters. So if you drive a car that "prefers" premium, but still runs okay on regular, then there indeed may be a little preformance gain running premium, as the computer dont have to compensate.

Lots of myths about premium vs regular. All my engines are naturally aspirated, low compression engines. Best fuel for them is 87.

My outdoor equipment get 93. But thats ONLY because I can find that in ethanol free. And ONLY at one station within ~50 miles. And its about 80 cents higher than 93 octane elsewhere thats blended with ethanol. If I could find 87 in e-free......or even 89 in e-free......I'd be running that instead of the 93.