UTV Winch?

/ UTV Winch? #71  
That may be overkill. 50% more should be plenty as a 9500lb tractor won't require 9500lbs of force to pull it up a hill, It could lift itself vertically. If stuck really bad, use a snatch block and double the winches pulling power.

Line Pull is the maximum pull your winch can produce before it stalls. For example a 9,500 lbs. winch can produce a line pull of 9,500 lbs
I do not agree. I have a 4500 lb jeep and a 4500 lb warn winch, with a snatch block. It could not pull the jeep up a 16% grade. Had to get out the 8000 lb winch.

Mostly I use the little winch to pull logs into a dump trailer, and the 8000 lb winch when the jeep is stuck, or when I need to pull a 25 in log up a hill. Been doing this for years, so I know what I'm doing.

/ UTV Winch? #72  
Prefer all steel for real work..... But then with a 10,000 lb. winch you can break anything...
I agree! This trip was unexpected, and I hurried around and picked up everything "I thought" I would need on the trip, to do what "I thought" I was going to do! I had a friend who was going to re-deck the trailer for me "when he got around to it". I hurriedly put the aluminum floor down, mounted the winch and a tray to hold the 4 batteries I had recently retrieved from a Prevost. The trip turned out pretty well, all in all, except for a wheel bearing heating up 150 miles from home, then me realizing when we pulled the drums, that the heat had gotten to the brake linings, and while waiting on those parts, I glanced at the date code on the 14ply tires, so after packing all four wheel bearings, putting 4 new sets of brakes, and just for fun, went with 4 new tires, which required 4 new rims, because I figured I would be heavy on the return trip, and going from 16" 14 ply tires to 17.5" 16ply tires just seemed like a good idea.
When I was grabbing things to make the trip, I grabbed what I had and a trip to Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply gave me the rest. The 2 winches came via Amazon, thanks to another member ordering them for me while I was still out on the road.
When I broke the last pulley block, I started looking for a machine shop to make me a roller out of a piece of steel shafting, or let me borrow a lathe long enough to do it myself, but he suggested Tractor Supply(which I wasn't aware had opened a store in that town) so I went there and got what I needed to finish loading both tractors. Neither had been run in at least 5 years.
Oh, the two winches I bought were 4500 pound winches, and triple blocked came right up on my trailer, dragging the bushhog behind the Massey 65 and the a tiller behind the Hinomoto. No issues with power, the four batteries handled it fine!
David from jax

/ UTV Winch? #73  
I do not agree. I have a 4500 lb jeep and a 4500 lb warn winch, with a snatch block. It could not pull the jeep up a 16% grade. Had to get out the 8000 lb winch.

Mostly I use the little winch to pull logs into a dump trailer, and the 8000 lb winch when the jeep is stuck, or when I need to pull a 25 in log up a hill. Been doing this for years, so I know what I'm doing.
Some of that might have been which cable layer you were on, or just how much power you were able to supple to the winch. Read my previous post what I did with a 4500 pound winch. The fact that I supplied more battery to it than it needed to do the whole job had to have helped.
Winches are usually rated as rolling capacity, not pulling uphill, so the manufacturer of your winch might be cutting it close?
David from jax

/ UTV Winch?
I do not plan on pulling the tractor with the winch. The plan is just to pull firewood logs to a location out to a trail where I can either buck it or hook my log drag on to it. If the log is so big that the winch wont drag it, I will probably just put the effort into clearing a path or using a different process.

/ UTV Winch?
Finished it up yesterday. I still plan on buying a quick connection at some point so I do not need to remove the cables so much.
carry all 1.jpg
switch.jpg

/ UTV Winch? #76  
Winches are usually rated as rolling capacity, not pulling uphill, so the manufacturer of your winch might be cutting it close?
Every winch I've looked at was rated at pounds of pull. (though admittedly, I have not investigated this for very many brands of winches.) Nothing to do with rolling capacity or dragging or uphill. It's the pounds exerted, regardless of what they are exerted on.

Trailer hitches are generally rated at rolling capacity.