UTV Winch?

/ UTV Winch? #61  
I got my John Deere 2555 stuck in the slick stuff next to a pond and the R-1 tires dug for China before I could stomp on the clutch. A 4x4 F250 wouldn't budge it, and then added a Nissan pickup, still no go. Finally locked my F350 down and used it and the F250 as an anchor and used the winch on the Nissan to pull it out.
Last month I went and picked up two dead tractors,one dragging a bush hog and the other dragging a tiller, and pulled them up onto my Big Tex trailer with a 3500 winch, but I triple blocked it. I learned a lesson about those hooks with the roller that HF sells. Not worth the cheap money they cost! The cast aluminum roller shatters under load. I ended up going to Tractor Supply and bought ones that were rated for what I was doing. The winch came from Amazon, and worked great. I didn't cut it any slack, and had it powered by 4 tractor trailer batteries tied together, and a set of jumper cables running to those off the two batteries in my F350.
David from jax

/ UTV Winch? #62  
I learned a lesson about those hooks with the roller that HF sells. Not worth the cheap money they cost! The cast aluminum roller shatters under load. I ended up going to Tractor Supply and bought ones that were rated for what I was doing.
I was thinking of grabbing one of those hook pulleys.

Was this the HF hook/pulley you were talking about:
I looked at one of those and was concerned that it was too light-duty for my needs.

I wonder if this one would hold up better. I didn't see it when I was last in the HF in my area.

I do have the HF Badland Snatch Block for $30 which seems fairly solid, but I have not used very heavily yet. (I've never tried the Badland Apex forged Snatch Block for $55)

/ UTV Winch? #63  
I was thinking of grabbing one of those hook pulleys.

Was this the HF hook/pulley you were talking about:
I looked at one of those and was concerned that it was too light-duty for my needs.

I wonder if this one would hold up better. I didn't see it when I was last in the HF in my area.

I do have the HF Badland Snatch Block for $30 which seems fairly solid, but I have not used very heavily yet. (I've never tried the Badland Apex forged Snatch Block for $55)
The block in picture was the ones that broke on me. I bought half a dozen of them for the trip, trying to cover all the bases since I didn't know what I was getting into. When I went to nearest store that had anything to offer, I was lucky that had enough higher quality items to allow me to load the 2 tractors and implements. I had 2 winches with me, and the Block failure took out the cable on one, so while I was at Tractor Supply, I also bought another winch because it was cheaper to buy the whole winch rather than just a new cable (which they didn't have ends for anyway).
David from jax

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110-140904_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240110-140904_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
   / UTV Winch? #64  
The block in picture was the ones that broke on me. I bought half a dozen of them for the trip, trying to cover all the bases since I didn't know what I was getting into.
Here is one of the broken rollers

Attachments

• 20231115_091233.jpg
    20231115_091233.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
   / UTV Winch? #65  
I have a few HF snatch blocks, you can see one hanging on my winch,

Resized-20211108-133922-S.jpg

I've made some HARD pulls on them and they handled it just fine.

I did take them apart when I got bought them, put a film of synthetic grease on the axles and re-assembled.

SR

/ UTV Winch? #66  
I have a few HF snatch blocks, you can see one hanging on my winch,

Resized-20211108-133922-S.jpg

I've made some HARD pulls on them and they handled it just fine.

I did take them apart when I got bought them, put a film of synthetic grease on the axles and re-assembled.

SR
Some have grease nipples.

/ UTV Winch? #68  
Some have grease nipples.
Yes, some do, but these things don't run constant, so a film of grease on the axle/bush will last for years, and it won't get over greased or end up with a damaged grease zerk.

SO, mine don't have a zerk and for the limited use a snatch block gets, they don't need one.

SR

/ UTV Winch? #69  
What is the weight of the tractor? A winch needs to be pulling at least twice the tractor weight to get it up a hill or out of mud.

/ UTV Winch? #70  
What is the weight of the tractor? A winch needs to be pulling at least twice the tractor weight to get it up a hill or out of mud.
That may be overkill. 50% more should be plenty as a 9500lb tractor won't require 9500lbs of force to pull it up a hill, It could lift itself vertically. If stuck really bad, use a snatch block and double the winches pulling power.

Line Pull is the maximum pull your winch can produce before it stalls. For example a 9,500 lbs. winch can produce a line pull of 9,500 lbs