UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
If I were thinking about the $31K CAN, I always look back to what my dad spent on (4) new Polaris ATV/UTVs in that same time frame that I have owned my Gator because he said "He could never afford a Gator like I could". He also used up (4) new Craftsman lawn tractors in the same 23 year period that I had my JD 345 tractor because, you guessed it "He could not afford John Deere". I helped him purchase a used JD 345 in the last years of his life and he loved it. He loved it so much he bought a brand new JD 1023R with a loader so he could get on and off easier than the big 85HP IH 884 with a loader. We affectionately called it a 4x4 wheel chair will a loader.
Awesome and I hear ya.

Again, I don't know much about the Gators and if they actually represent a step above anything else in the durability/reliability department. To be honest, I've always thought of them (and the Kubotas) as probably being OK, but not representative of the quality the brands offered 20-30 years ago.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #22  
Looks like a decent deal. I know nothing about Bobcat UTVs. I picture them as being re-branded something or others?

We've run Cub Cadet UTVs at work, and while they were surprisingly capable with their lawn tractor engines, they were pretty rough around the edges and we had trouble getting some parts for them.

I own a 3400D- it is a rebranded Polaris. I like mine well enough except for the sticky clutch. It seems that Polaris in their infinite wisdom put a clutch that isn’t quite proper for a diesels torque curve in the Bobcats they made ( and probably in their own models as well). The result is a very difficult gear shift-I have, on more than one occasion, had to shut it off to shift from forward to reverse and vice versa.

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of shimming (or other adjustments) that will address the issue- that I’ve been able to find. There is a clutch replacement that supposedly addresses the issue but is spendy. I just live with it now.

It isn’t particularly fast either-intended for worksite not bombing on trails.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #23  
If you like a work type of machine and you like a cab, you have eliminated many used machines. I'd say there are real differences between the Defender and Commander, I'll use for an example. You kind of need to make up what you'd like to have. If you want to get pods and hope to operate in deep snow, that again eliminates many machines. :unsure: Whats the most important thing for you?

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #24  
That's us. My wife wanted one and bought it. So far (a year), no issues at all. I added a 5000 pound Harbor Freight winch (bolt on no issue), mud flaps and we have the one with the Rino lined bed.. Nice buggy and quick. You can get them full cab with heat and ac but ours isn't. Fold down windshield and roof works for us. I think it was 14 otd. Never used 4wd yet. No need to.
"That's us." Does that mean that's you in the video or that it mirrors your experience with the XG850?

How do you like the 850 for work duties? If you know, is there any real loss between the 850 and the -900?

Thanks!

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #25  
My 63 Cj5 is same size as neighbor’s prior rtv
rtv is about 2” shorter but 6” wider. I got to compare side to side and on trails when I had to pull him out.

The flatfenders are even smaller

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
If you like a work type of machine and you like a cab, you have eliminated many used machines. I'd say there are real differences between the Defender and Commander, I'll use for an example. You kind of need to make up what you'd like to have. If you want to get pods and hope to operate in deep snow, that again eliminates many machines. :unsure: Whats the most important thing for you?
Yeah, the Defender and Commander are pretty different machines, but I could be being happy with either one, with the preference being to the Defender for the increased utility and ease of ingress/egress.

What's most important to me? Value and dependability maybe?

As far as features and capabilities, I'm flexible. Just looking for a small, off-road utility vehicle that I can be comfortable in through all kinds of weather. I don't have specific tasks in mind, other than throwing the chainsaw in the back and heading to the bush. Maple sap collection comes to mind also.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
My 63 Cj5 is same size as neighbor’s prior rtv
rtv is about 2” shorter but 6” wider. I got to compare side to side and on trails when I had to pull him out.

The flatfenders are even smaller
Solid CJ-5s aren't exactly common in these parts, and I'd be bias to a Samurai with a hard top. Definitely something to be said for that type of vehicle as a UTV alternative though.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #28  
One of the first changes I made was to swap soft top for hard, good luck with your search

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #29  
Jeeps are wonderful...I've been a Wrangler owner for 30 years and currently have a 2006 Rubicon (last of the old straight-6 engines). Big plus is that they are street-legal. Big minus is how rough they ride. If I spend all day driving my Jeep on rough roads by the end of the day I feel like I've been beat with a bat. Solid axles are stout but the worst thing possible for a soft ride. That's why I recently bought a 2020 Can-am Defender Cab model - full cab with roll-down windows, the windshield can be closed or cracked open or opened fully, and factory installed heater. With that soft independent suspension on all four corners and those soft balloon tires this thing rides like a dream on rough roads/trails. Rocky roads that I would have to drive 2 mph in my Rubicon the Defender easily glides over at 20 mph. There is no comparison in the ride and handling between the Jeep and Defender - the Defender is simply so much better. The Samurai rides worse than the Jeep! So - if a decent ride matters to you this is a consideration.

DSC05101r.jpg