UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
Have you considered a Suzuki Samurai? For less money you could get one that has been upgraded/restored.
“One last thought. If your trails permit, look at a used Jeep Wrangler. It will seat four (cramped in the back but good for kids), and will outlast any UTV. We had one for a couple of years and it handled our trails very well.”

amen, I went w a cj5 over neighbor rtv. He sold that and did the same. More capable for us minus dump but we use our trailers anyway. We have the same room in back for saws, cans etc and it is handy to run to the store

I have definitely considered a Suzuki Samurai, Jimny, Sidekick, etc.. Also, I'm strongly looking at the other Japanese "mini-trucks" like the Suzuki Carry, Daihatsu HiJet, Honda Acty, etc.. Great value, however they're not exactly readily available and would need some mods to be better trail ready. This guy does some awesome conversions, I just wish there was someone like that around here. It makes you wonder why anyone would buy a UTV/SxS when those are available.

I haven't really consider a Jeep as they are a little bigger than I would want plus I have always prefered the smaller, Japanese trucks.

I'm not sure about the legalities for minitrucks here. I know they can be licensed for the road, however I'm not sure about putting them on the trail. I've heard it can be done. As I would need to run a lot of club trails to get where I want to go in most cases, I'd prefer to be legal.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #14  
Kubota 850 (ie Sidekick) is more than the X1100C, even then not equally equipped. The enclosure on the 850 was (when I was looking at them in 2019) not standard. If you need to stay below $25k I doubt you can get one decked out...and it might be hard to find used but you can give it a shot. If you want a fun wagon, X1100C is definitely not for you (as mentioned). It is all work and no play.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
i had a Ranger 850 with Cab. I had tracks on it one winter and sold them. Your speed is cut in half with them on and you drive around with the engine screaming away. I also had a RZR 570 and it was fun but useless.

My buddy bought a 570 and sold it after one year. It has transmission issues and was loud.

You will spend a lot of money for what you are looking for so test drive as many as you can and realize you will need to compromise.

Last year, we got the "cheap" Kawasaki Mule SX. Less than $7000 on sale. It is slow (25 mph) but has been very handy. We cruise a lot of old logging trails where speed is too dangerous anyway, visit neighbors, yard work, and run up and down the 200 yard range. We have been happy with it. Kawasaki is the only company to offer a three year warranty.

Your plan to get a RZR 170 for the kids to tag along with may be not work out well. If they are following you, they will be eating dust depending on the type of roads/trails you are running.

BTW, we have snowmobiles for fun riding in the winter. UTV's are not good in the snow and like I said, the tracks suck and add another $4500...get a good winch.

One last thought. If your trails permit, look at a used Jeep Wrangler. It will seat four (cramped in the back but good for kids), and will outlast any UTV. We had one for a couple of years and it handled our trails very well.
I run tracks on ATVs a fair bit. I regularly use a Honda 500 with no EPS and I'm pretty satisfied with the performance (although it is working hard). It is pretty hard to get it stuck in the snow.

I don't have any UTV experience with tracks though. I know they are a compromise, but based on my tracked ATV experience, I figured it was the only way to go in the winter. I have snowmobiles already and I'm looking for something completely different out of a UTV.

As for the kids, I'm not really picturing weekend trail rides. Just them tagging along as we hit the trails for the 2-3 mile rides to either my parents opr my wife's parents farms (and local friends). Usually mud is the bigger threat than dust.

My dad has a Mule 4010 Trans. It's a great machine around the farm, but it's a little slow and the suspension a little crude. Plus the Trans has a massive wheelbase. I could probably live with one with a decent cab on it but I haven't seen many outfitted like that. He bought it off-lease from a solar farm several years ago and it was a steal at the time.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide
Kubota 850 (ie Sidekick) is more than the X1100C, even then not equally equipped. The enclosure on the 850 was (when I was looking at them in 2019) not standard. If you need to stay below $25k I doubt you can get one decked out...and it might be hard to find used but you can give it a shot. If you want a fun wagon, X1100C is definitely not for you (as mentioned). It is all work and no play.
Yeah, not seeing too many Sidekicks used, and it looks like they are well over $25k if I want a full cab. I may look into them more though.

Like I say, I drive a X1100C nearly daily, and I'm pretty sold on the Kubota durability and I sometimes wonder if I could live with an HST around the house. 10mph more and I would probably buy one.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #17  
I'm in the process of replacing my RTV-900. There's a very good chance I'll replace it with a Kubota RTV-XG850.

A few spec differences (RTV-900 vs. -XG850):

21 hp vs. 48; diesel vs. gas; 28 mph vs 40; better acceleration for the gas (insert "There's a Big Forking Surprise" .gif here); payload 1598 lbs vs. 1435 (this one surprised me); towing 1300 lbs vs. 2000 (another surprise); cargo bed load 1102 lbs. vs. 1000 (cargo bed is same volume 15.3 cu ft.); hydraulic bed lift vs. manual ($850 electric/hydraulic lift as option). Both are four wheel drive. -900 is hydraulic drive (i.e. a small tractor); -XG850 is CVT transmission. Diesel is a Kubota engine; gas is a Subaru (soon to be a Kubota gas engine if it isn't already). Suspension travel is 8" front/8" back vs. 9"/8.5" for Sidekick.

The 28 vs. 40 mph plus the very little, if any, loss of payload/towing capacity has caught my eye.

I am now to the point where I despise the glacially slow -900 diesel/HST powerplant/transmission performance.

ETA:: These guys aren't very far from you:
That's us. My wife wanted one and bought it. So far (a year), no issues at all. I added a 5000 pound Harbor Freight winch (bolt on no issue), mud flaps and we have the one with the Rino lined bed.. Nice buggy and quick. You can get them full cab with heat and ac but ours isn't. Fold down windshield and roof works for us. I think it was 14 otd. Never used 4wd yet. No need to.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
Looks like a decent deal. I know nothing about Bobcat UTVs. I picture them as being re-branded something or others?

We've run Cub Cadet UTVs at work, and while they were surprisingly capable with their lawn tractor engines, they were pretty rough around the edges and we had trouble getting some parts for them.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
I pulled the things from your post that you seem to care about.

I still run my 21 year old cabbed Gator and if I would replace it, it would be with this.

AG-5746M GATORTMXUV835R (Model Year 2021) $25,599.00

You wanted to keep it under 25k and I understand you are using loonie and toonies but imagine you figured that in if buying out of US.

You said quiet and I think this fit and finish is the best you can get in a UTV.

My dad burned though 4 Polaris (2 Rangers) in the 20 yrs I have owned my Gator.

My Gator easily and repetitively hauls and dumps 700-1200 lbs.

You said not easy to buy in Canada but this states right on the invoice.
US/Canada. In Base Price Build To Order

https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/en_us/configure/109738137/summary

Here is mine plowing snow:
Truthfully, I don't know much about Gators. I don't seem to see many around here (mostly RTVs) and my only experience with them was 6000miles away on the other side of the globe (as below). I think I was referencing Japanese minuirucks not being readily available in Canada, as there is plenty of JD dealers around. I had quick look, and it seems like I' starting at $31k with a cab and HVAC. That's a little hard to swallow.

VuODigX.jpg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #20  
If I were thinking about the $31K CAN, I always look back to what my dad spent on (4) new Polaris ATV/UTVs in that same time frame that I have owned my Gator because he said "He could never afford a Gator like I could". He also used up (4) new Craftsman lawn tractors in the same 23 year period that I had my JD 345 tractor because, you guessed it "He could not afford John Deere". I helped him purchase a used JD 345 in the last years of his life and he loved it. He loved it so much he bought a brand new JD 1023R with a loader so he could get on and off easier than the big 85HP IH 884 with a loader. We affectionately called it a 4x4 wheel chair will a loader.

011 JD GX345 Dad with a smile.png