Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
So today I took Eddie's advice and stopped by Cokers in Tyler. I have been talking to them in their Tractor business about a T494H, but had never been in the trailer office. Mr. Coker (Sr) runs the trailer business. Jr runs the tractor side. They seem to be good people. Mrs. Coker (sr) had a great talk with my wife.

I placed an order for a 77" x 12' single 5200lb axle with brakes, 6 lug wheels, wood floor, welded fixed rails, 4' reinforced tailgate ramp with assist, spare wheel/tire, drop leg setback jack, 2" Bulldog hitch. The price was $1300 less than the best quote I got from the bigger brands. It will be a couple of weeks to be built.

I have a few days to make changes. Probably will change color from black. Leading candidates are red (matches truck and future tractor) or dark green to match our metal sided house/barn. I thought seriously about a 14', but ultimately wanted the slightly lighter weight so SxS can tow it on the property and still have some cargo. Any last minute tweaks?

Thanks for all y'alls advice.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #142  
Happy Haulin'. LED lighting? A full length 3/4" pipe on top rail for tiedowns, front and sides. Spare tire mount at front, laying flat. In Ontario you must have Trailer Rated tires. Large Military type tool box that seals and a set of 7' ramps that slide under the rear deck for storage. I Used a round 'explosion Proof' junction box near the hitch where all wires meet. Great for testing faults. Run wires in conduit.

Last edited:
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #143  
Great - Sounds nice!

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #144  
Add twice ss many tie-down points as you think you will need.

Then a few more.

Bruce

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #145  
I wouldn't let SxS towing ability run me off the longer trailer if it's really what you like. 4 wheelers and SxSs can tow unbelievable weight.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #146  
I wouldn't let SxS towing ability run me off the longer trailer if it's really what you like. 4 wheelers and SxSs can tow unbelievable weight.
Our Kawasaki SxS is rated to tow 1500 pounds.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #148  
Okie dokie how does that play out with 2 feet difference in trailer length?
Probably every small single axle trailer is far less than1500#, and another 2’ won’t add much weight. Also how many pounds do you want to haul?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #149  
So today I took Eddie's advice and stopped by Cokers in Tyler. I have been talking to them in their Tractor business about a T494H, but had never been in the trailer office. Mr. Coker (Sr) runs the trailer business. Jr runs the tractor side. They seem to be good people. Mrs. Coker (sr) had a great talk with my wife.

I placed an order for a 77" x 12' single 5200lb axle with brakes, 6 lug wheels, wood floor, welded fixed rails, 4' reinforced tailgate ramp with assist, spare wheel/tire, drop leg setback jack, 2" Bulldog hitch. The price was $1300 less than the best quote I got from the bigger brands. It will be a couple of weeks to be built.

I have a few days to make changes. Probably will change color from black. Leading candidates are red (matches truck and future tractor) or dark green to match our metal sided house/barn. I thought seriously about a 14', but ultimately wanted the slightly lighter weight so SxS can tow it on the property and still have some cargo. Any last minute tweaks?

Thanks for all y'alls advice.
Single axle is always a no-go for me. At least with a double you can get to the side of the road. Already tested that with a 12’ double!

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #150  
12' single with a 5,200 lb axle? That'll be an odd bird. I will say that I've had a 12' single in my fleet for 6 years without a single hiccup. The key is to keep your tires maintained properly and keep the bearings greased. If you keep a quality tire on the trailer the odds of a flat are much lower. Most of the guys I see on the side of the road were running 25 year old tires.