Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
Thanks. We're neighbors, of a sort, so if I ever need a bigger trailer, I'll let you know.;)

If I remember, I'm going to call my trailer guy and add the 2 ft. I'll ask about the LED lights. I also checked and my truck has a port for both kinds of light harness. I've heard the round one is better...but no explanation as to why.

Thoughts on color...TYM red or Summit Green (like my house siding)? The truck is Barcelona Red Metallic. He had a nice looking dark blue on the lot, but my wife didn't like it for our trailer. Maybe the red with the ramp/gate in black?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #162  
There is very little cost difference going to LED lights, if any. Less maintenance is worth it for me. Round 7 wire plug if it has brakes. Rectangular 4 wire plug is lights only.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #163  
There is a 6 pin round plug that includes lights and brakes as well. Not very common and I would recommend against it because it's not common. The 7 pin RV plug is the same 6 pins plus one for an "always on 12v supply".

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #164  
I just read a great many pages of this thread. One thing I've heard repeated is that with the tandem axle you can always get to the side of the road. What in the heck difference does that make, single axle, tandem axle even triple axle they all can and will get to the side of the road. If you are contemplating hauling it a mile or two with a flat then multiple axles may make that easier. Otherwise it makes no difference. Does you truck stop immediately with a flat tire, or do you drive it off the side of the road to get to a place to work on it. You can gimp most anything off the road and to a bit of safety. Several years ago I got a flat while traveling it was on a very busy divided highway with construction going and the road narrowed with concrete barriers, I just drove slowly on the rim till I got to an opening in the barriers and pulled off the highway to change the tire, yes the rim was chewed up. When we stopped for the night I found a used rim and tire for a new spare, issue over and done with.

Well, with a tandem axle if one tire blows the other axle will hold that wheel with the blown tire up off the roadway. The tire is already trashed, but at least the wheel won’t also be trashed since it’s being held up off the roadway due to the fact that you’ve got another good tire on that side to support the load.

With a single axle, the moment the tire blows you just lost a tire AND wheel....unless you're extremely lucky.

I disagree. I have a couple single axle trailers and a couple duel axle trailers. Two axles travel down the road a lot better. No sway, or moment like the single axle does. I'll add that the single axle trailers are shorter, and they serve their purpose, but they would be a lot better if they had two axles.

Exactly. Tandems reduce sway, reduce tire wear, don't rock back and forth when they're unhooked from the truck like a see-saw, and are generally just a lot safer.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #165  
I currently have 8 trailers and own a trailer service company, amongst others.
My observations over the years and having dealt with tons of tractor owners, small businesses and homeowners.
First, you’ll almost never regret buying the bigger trailer. I run a 20’ tilt deck twin 7k tandem for my tractor and have eyeballed or considered making a 24’. My tractor is used in my property services company for all sorts of projects and there are times when I carry multiple implements. Implements are big. While your *Tractor* may fit on a 14 or 16’ trailer, your tractor with a ‘Hog…won’t.
Second, Used is a possibility but make 1000% you check the wheel bearings, replace and grease maybe even before you leave the place you bought it.

Third…Brakes. Trailer brakes are a must if you carry heavy loads. It’s not that your truck can’t tow the load, it’s that your truck brakes aren’t designed to STOP that much weight. Trailer brakes need to be adjusted unless they are self adjusting. I’d say 98% of people with trailers that have brakes never adjust them and never change them. Yes, they do wear.
Fourth, A dump trailer is the most useful trailer you can own, utility wise, but it’s a royal pain with a tractor. Plus the prices now…yeah.
Fifth, a utility gate sounds like a good idea. In practice, they are too flimsy to handle a tractor. Ramps or better yet, a tilt deck is the way.
Last…You might see and be temped by tandem flatbed trailers for cheap that are converted RVs on Facebook marketplace. Don’t.
Those frames are too light to carry an equipment load. Crossmembers are stupid thin and half of them start out bent. Unless you have the ability and time to reinforce them…don’t.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #166  
Well, with a tandem axle if one tire blows the other axle will hold that wheel with the blown tire up off the roadway. The tire is already trashed, but at least the wheel won’t also be trashed since it’s being held up off the roadway due to the fact that you’ve got another good tire on that side to support the load.

With a single axle, the moment the tire blows you just lost a tire AND wheel....unless you're extremely lucky.

Exactly. Tandems reduce sway, reduce tire wear, don't rock back and forth when they're unhooked from the truck like a see-saw, and are generally just a lot safer.

Have you ever had a blow out on a trailer? If you had torsion axels you might fair a little different but with walking beam suspension it does the job it’s supposed to and puts the blown tire on the ground. Not only that the pieces of the blown tire along with being overloaded will promptly blow the good tire. You might limp a duel tandem trailer but limping a regular tandem axel is a myth.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #167  
I feel so unsafe having only single axles on the front and rear of my truck. What if I have a blowout?

Why doesn't someone make a 3/4 ton pickup with tandem axles front and rear?

:D :D :D

Bruce

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #168  
I feel so unsafe having only single axles on the front and rear of my truck. What if I have a blowout?

Bruce
Most trips in our truck and with the trailer, we have multiple blowouts. What I'm I doing wrong? :ROFLMAO:

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #169  

Bruce

You have dual axles. Just spread out further apart than a trailer.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #170  

Bruce
Good sarcasm...