TYM T474

/ TYM T474 #1  
Tractor
TYM T474
Time to sell the New Holland T2220 and get something bigger. Something I'll probably keep forever as I plan to retire from lawn maintenance in 7 years.

I know just enough about TYM to be on the fence. The plusses are I love the prices and I love my dealer. They sell me all my handheld equipment and they have taken care of me better than most dealers would. I'm a one man show but they treat me like their biggest landscaper out there. TYM is the only tractor line they carry.

Got a price around $25,000 for a T474 with a 3rd function kit and telescopic lower links installed. That's out the door.

I have looked at Kioti and they have some great tractors, too. Not as economical as the TYM but still better than the Kubota and Deere. My New Holland dealer no longer carries them so I have nobody close at all to even look at the new models. I know many of them these days are built by LS anyway.

$25,000 is not just pocket money. But it's better than a comparable Kioti at around $30,000.

Anything I need to look out for? Again, saving $5,000 is great but if the other brand is much better, that savings could cost me more in the long run.

/ TYM T474 #2  
When reading other posts, dealer support is always high on everyone's list when it comes to buying a tractor. It sounds like you answered your own question.

/ TYM T474 #3  
I have used my daughter's TYM T494 a bit. I just graded her long driveway with her tractor and my box blade. It's a nice rig. I like it.
20190721_100415.jpg

/ TYM T474
This dealer is probably the biggest factor I even looked at TYM. In fact, the manager (who I consider a friend) showed me yesterday two tractors they were working on because TYM recommended this particular dealership for the repairs. One was from Tn. and had been in a rollover. No cosmetic damage but the oil hydro-locked a cylinder, bent the rod, and destroyed the engine. I forgot why the second one was there but both were because of no fault of the tractor.

Anyway, I did go with a 474. I wanted the 494 but I need the smaller compact size due to the properties I have to work it on. I am having telescopic 3 pt hitch arms installed, a rear LED light, and a 3rd remote. They're also taking my Meyer snow plow and flushing out the lines of the old New Holland Multi G 134 oil and replacing with fresh hydraulic oil like what is in the TYM. Tractor should be ready for pick-up by the end of this coming week.

/ TYM T474
Well. Picked it up Monday. I know I'm used to my old New Holland but man, are there some things I hate about this tractor so far. I know once I get used to some things, I'll feel better.

1. Monday morning, dealer called and said it was ready but he had bad news. The telescopic links will not work on the 474. TYM said they would but after the links arrived, the dealer realized they wouldn't fit, and then TYM said, "Well, maybe they don't fit after all." How stupid is that from TYM corporate? He offered to cancel the deal but I figured I'd make do.
2. Absolutely ridiculous place the 3pt lift control lever is placed. It's almost underneath the seat on the right. Might as well figure you won't be using your arm rests when using any 3 pt implements. Come on man.
3. Unhooking the front end loader is extremely awkward. My NH worked the same way but it came out much easier.
4. The hydrostatic range select lever is awkward, very stubborn, and there's no way to confirm, what speed you're in. You're pretty much guessing if you're in gear or not.
5. The PTO will not move at all by hand. I know this seems petty but when hooking up your implement PTO shaft, you have to turn the implement's shaft to line things up instead of the PTO on the tractor. Turning the PTO on the tractor is so much easier than turning my 6' grooming mower or my bush hog shaft.

I'm field mowing Friday. We'll see how that goes. I don't mean to be so negative but sometimes you wonder if anyone who actually uses a tractor goes out there and tests their designs before mass producing them.

/ TYM T474 #6  
I purchased a 494 and so far I am pretty happy. I agree about the pto shaft, it would be nice if it spun. I looked at the 474, but that cab was just too tight for me. I liked the cab layout of the 494 better.

/ TYM T474
Well. As expected. This tractor is slowly growing on me. I'm up to 10 hours on it so far and I'm growing into it.

1. Love the extra HP compared to my NH. Keeps the 6' grooming mower revved up much better in thick bahia grass.
2. I'm getting more used to the 3 pt hitch lift lever. As mentioned, just forget the arm rests if you're raising and lowering implements often.
3. Even though the hydrostatic gear selector is just stupid, I realized this tractor will allow you to start it in gear as long as the brake is pressed. That's fantastic. So I just leave it in mid-range all the time. We know we use mid-range about 90% of the time so I rarely have to use the gear selector since it will start in gear.

Mowing today, I started smelling diesel fuel sporadically. Couldn't see any leaks around the fuel cap so I just pressed on. But later went to the barn for something and saw diesel fuel spitting out the side of the fuel filter in a steady stream. It was spewing diesel fuel all over the engine. Shut the tractor off and turned off the fuel. Once I pulled the fuel filter housing off, I realized that housing was way out of round. It was warped or something where it connects to the cap. I was able to get it cleaned up and resealed for now. But obviously that will need to be replaced.

Overall, I'm feeling a little better. Time will tell. I know it's different so some problems are more me than the tractor. Hopefully this fuel filter housing problem was just some sloppy attention to detail when putting it together and it will be my last problem for many years to come.

/ TYM T474
I purchased a 494 and so far I am pretty happy. I agree about the pto shaft, it would be nice if it spun. I looked at the 474, but that cab was just too tight for me. I liked the cab layout of the 494 better.

I assume you have the enclosed cab. I do not. I use mine in tight properties and in the woods quite often so as much as it would be nice to have, I had to go without the cab and I chose the 474 because it was smaller than the 494. The 494 was just too big for what I will be using it for.

/ TYM T474 #10  
Get a pats quick hitch its way better than extendable links. My tym built mahindra das a pto neutral lever that allows the pto yo spin freely im surprised yours does not have that