TYM 494 or Branson 4820

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #124  
We are tilling a couple acres this year!
Something to think about. On many soil types, tilling creates a great seedbed, but over time it forms a plow pan of hard soil just below the tiller depth. I have a ripper plow (Fred Cain style) that I use to open the soil and break the plow pan before tilling in the spring. Then I also rip the ground in the fall after putting the garden to bed. This allows snow to accumulate deep moisture over the winter.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #125  
Your uses may differ. For my uses, I would rent the box blade and buy a good rear blade.
Not saying you're wrong and I'm right but I have a hydraulic angle rear blade I bought new in 2013 and I think I've used it twice. My box blade gets used daily all summer for road building and maintenance. They can do almost anything a rear blade can do with all the different adjustments they have.

I thinks it's one of those things where you need to try both and see which one you prefer working with.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820
Not saying you're wrong and I'm right but I have a hydraulic angle rear blade I bought new in 2013 and I think I've used it twice. My box blade gets used daily all summer for road building and maintenance. They can do almost anything a rear blade can do with all the different adjustments they have.

I thinks it's one of those things where you need to try both and see which one you prefer working with.
Yeah, I’ve watched folks do some amazing work with a box blade

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #127  
Yeah, I’ve watched folks do some amazing work with a box blade
Just saw your tractor . Sweet! I have never looked at these other brands before, but now that Kubota raised their prices so high in Canada I've been looking at other brands.
These Branson's seem to have a lot for the dollar.

I found a cabbed 5520C with loader and backhoe for $56,000.

A USED Kubota Grand L with loader and backhoe is $90,000 here. I can't even buy a 26 h.p. Kubota with cab and loader for the price of that 5520C!

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820
And the ability to "repair" the DPF really interests me also.
Yeah, so the legacy Branson models are a little more expensive than the comparable TYM legacy models, but I do think the build quality justifies it. Better fit, finish and paint quality. Also, welds on the TYM 494 were pretty rough. If you looked at the fender welds and the platform mud guard welds. Not saying they are not a reliable unit, but I noticed this right away. The Branson unit has much nicer it and finish

Yes, the no ECM engine means that you can fix DPF issues without throwing the engine into limp mode.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #130  
I have a blade with guide wheels and a box blade, but I hardly ever use the blade. We have a steep drive. The box blade has been good for dragging gravel back up the hill when it washes down the hill. I rarely use the rippers, but used them recently to repair my neighbor's potholes in his driveway.