TYM 494 or Branson 4820

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820
Everyone has their preferences, but I have always preferred a heavy rear blade with offset capabilities over a box blade for road maintenance.
I really need to dig out some deep potholes… I was hoping the rippers and ability to move material would be beneficial, coupled with a HYD top link

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #113  
I really need to dig out some deep potholes… I was hoping the rippers and ability to move material would be beneficial, coupled with a HYD top
Yeah, if you can get those rippers deep enough to get through the bottom of the pothole, that helps a lot in my experience (not a lot of pothole repairs, though).

Yeah, if you can get those rippers deep enough to get through the bottom of the pothole, that helps a lot in my experience (not a lot of pothole repairs, though).
That was my thought. It’s always seen new gravel and grading, which does nothing for potholes. The surface needs to be loosened and regraded so it shares the same density

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #115  
I really need to dig out some deep potholes… I was hoping the rippers and ability to move material would be beneficial, coupled with a HYD top link
True, box blades do excel in that task, but once the road is in decent condition, a heavy rear blade with lots of adjustment capabilities is the best implement for regular maintenance. When I first bought my place, I used a box blade to work out potholes, then never used that implement again for road maintenance. I’ve used a scraper blade on the road for the past 18 years.

True, box blades do excel in that task, but once the road is in decent condition, a heavy rear blade with lots of adjustment capabilities is the best implement for regular maintenance. When I first bought my place, I used a box blade to work out potholes, then never used that implement again for road maintenance. I’ve used a scraper blade on the road for the past 18 years.
Maybe I’ll just rent one

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #118  
I have a 1/2 mile of mostly very steep private road I've maintained for 45 years. I had a blade only for years and it works VG, my previous tractor I got a 72" Land Pride box scraper in the deal and never use the blade since then. The only rock which fills a pothole or stays put anywhere period on a steep grade is dense grade. Thats nothing to do with how you grade the road tool wise, it's about the rock. A flat grade road then the rock choices can vary some. One road I maintain is even steeper than our main road and goes up on a ridge area (E KY terrain) and I use on larger rock as seen on rail roads as ballast rock. I use a dressing of dense grade, called DGA at the quarry 2 miles away from me.
My box blade adjusts in the almost the same directions as my high quality Bush Hog brand blade.
It's certainly true that if you drag a bunch of "tumbly", non-compactible rocks into a pothole they'll find their way out soon enough. Of course creek rock also compacts well & holds on steep grades but is illegal to obtain many areas.
I use #9's up around my home where it's flat. They move around some but not much.

So very pleased. I’m happy I went with the 4820. The paint and build quality seems much nicer than the 494… and the physical size is actually my more compact, while weighing the same. The castings are so robust, not a spec of rust from its journey. I will admit the operator platform is smaller than the 494.
9AA46748-6A3A-4D4F-A7B3-D40D665E12D8.jpeg

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #120  
So very pleased. I’m happy I went with the 4820. The paint and build quality seems much nicer than the 494… and the physical size is actually my more compact, while weighing the same. The castings are so robust, not a spec of rust from its journey. I will admit the operator platform is smaller than the 494.View attachment 784992
Nice machine. And you have the adjustable rear wheels also. 👍
What brand of tiller is that?