TYM 494 or Branson 4820

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820
LS has excellent fit and finish, and make a great tractor; that said, it seems that LS more electrical gremlins than other brands.

Obviously the majority of LS tractors sold are excellent machines, they wouldn't have the fanbase they have otherwise.
Every time I go to the LS group… it’s another tractor in limp mode, with a code. I know a lot of folks love them. I’m starting to think it really doesn’t matter what tractor you buy, as long as you have a dealer when you need one

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #92  
Parts availability could be a issue with a lot of brands. A lot of parts are no longer available for my Kioti Lk2554. I still can get things like filters and such but I had to modify the dash when the instrument panel was no longer available. Also had to find a different way when my sector shaft broke and was no longer available.

Manufactures will support models until it is no longer profitable to do so. Branson has some models they already have quit supporting. I chose Branson because of the mechanical injection and overall quality of the tractor. I am also aware that a time may come that I will have to be creative to keep it going. If I was buying today I still would choose a Branson for the same reasons.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #93  
There is a significant difference. Montana was J.B. Hunt's brand and he bought tractors from various OEMs (mostly LS). Branson has always been wholly owned by Kukje until TYM bought them. The manufacturer owns the brand and makes the tractors. Montana was more like the 'store' brands that buy what they can and move on. LS has little to gain by continuing support of the Montana brand, it was not theirs. TYM has everything to gain by continuing support of Branson because it is them.
For the sake of a lot of owners, hopefully that’s how it plays out in ten years.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #94  
Im comparing the LS MT347H to the 4820H. The tillers are both UM72 from Ironcraft, formerly Titan.
I think I’m more hung up on the DPF and ECM engine in the LS honestly
I think you touched on an important thing we all miss here at times. We all have different needs and different preferences. I prefer the less complicated engine, but it is not a major driver for me. I like the color of the new Summit tractor, but I am not about to buy one. The UM72 is on my list, too. I may hold off on the tiller for now, though as I have higher priorities.

I ran some numbers on the 4820H at Big Tex. The package deal comes with 6' tiller, box blade, and mower/cutter and a PHD. $35k and change. Based on pricing I could locate for their implements (or cheapest if I didn't know make/model) the tractor portion comes out to about $28.5k. I don't know how much they charge to add the two pair of ports in the back (or 3rd function).

I also went back to my master spreadsheet... The 347H is the same one I used for comparison on LS. The FEL ht is more than a foot lower. Also, the 3pt lift is 600 lbs (20%) less. you may never need to lift more than 2700 lbs, but I figure it puts less stress on the machine when you are well within the parameters. It is also nearly 2.5 inches more narrow than the 4820. May not be much on paper, but it could be crucial if you are on a slope.

I toss this all out not to sway your opinion, but for you to use in negotiations. Any of these would be good to have and considerably more affordable than the green/Orange options.

I think you touched on an important thing we all miss here at times. We all have different needs and different preferences. I prefer the less complicated engine, but it is not a major driver for me. I like the color of the new Summit tractor, but I am not about to buy one. The UM72 is on my list, too. I may hold off on the tiller for now, though as I have higher priorities.

I ran some numbers on the 4820H at Big Tex. The package deal comes with 6' tiller, box blade, and mower/cutter and a PHD. $35k and change. Based on pricing I could locate for their implements (or cheapest if I didn't know make/model) the tractor portion comes out to about $28.5k. I don't know how much they charge to add the two pair of ports in the back (or 3rd function).

I also went back to my master spreadsheet... The 347H is the same one I used for comparison on LS. The FEL ht is more than a foot lower. Also, the 3pt lift is 600 lbs (20%) less. you may never need to lift more than 2700 lbs, but I figure it puts less stress on the machine when you are well within the parameters. It is also nearly 2.5 inches more narrow than the 4820. May not be much on paper, but it could be crucial if you are on a slope.

I toss this all out not to sway your opinion, but for you to use in negotiations. Any of these would be good to have and considerably more affordable than the green/Orange options.

Thanks for the rundown. I know if I travel, I can get the unit for less than I can locally, but then the shipping takes it over the top. The tractor and 6’ tiller are just under $35k here pre tax, free delivery. I’ll be adding an EA box blade and a cultipacker as well. I’ll be into it for $41k total with tax.

Going to give the LS one last look in the morning, but likely placing my 4820 order in the afternoon.

Found another tractor dealer selling the same tiller for $2700… not $3200. The TYM dealer said the best they can do is $3000, so I’ll buy it from the LS guy. Not paying $300 more when a dealer 15 miles away has the same unit. That buys a hydraulic top link

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #97  
In my research too I found worrisome amount of LS tractors in limb mode, and just silly things going wrong. My T474 doesn't have a seat safety switch, which I appreciate. Let me be dumb on my own terms and have a less complicated nanny machine.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #99  
After two years of research… I ordered the tractor today. Thanks for all of the insight, views, and banter on the topic fellas

No one can call your purchase hasty!

Which machine was it that you decided on?

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #100  
In my research too I found worrisome amount of LS tractors in limb mode, and just silly things going wrong. My T474 doesn't have a seat safety switch, which I appreciate. Let me be dumb on my own terms and have a less complicated nanny machine.
Mine doesn't either. I'm wondering if that nanny switch is for units that can attach a belly mower? Just curious if that's what makes the switch a requirement.