Truck winches

/ Truck winches #41  
I guess I’m down to Warn, Mile Markers, Sherpa and Pro-winch.

Ramsey also makes (or used to make) vehicle winches. I believe some of them were 2-speed which would be a benefit. I got a bit lost looking at their web page a couple of days ago.

/ Truck winches
Ramsey also makes (or used to make) vehicle winches. I believe some of them were 2-speed which would be a benefit. I got a bit lost looking at their web page a couple of days ago.
I have a local dealer who has their PTO winches in-stock. They also make electric. Military uses Ramsey.

/ Truck winches #43  
Keep a good eye on the battery cables for the winch. The cables on my ZXR 12K turned to powder within 6 months of purchase. Seems they use Cooper Clad Aluminum and they had corroded.
Hmmm, I'll have to look at that. My ZXR negative cable lost an end, and was crumbling a bit. I think I over heated it some. For some reason I was driving it with jumper cables to the Harbor Freight cables. :)

When I started using the APEX, I also changed over to the APEX cables. I had to slightly enlarge the holes to fit the battery screw tops (Odyssey Battery). So far it seems to be holding up fine, but I've only used it a half dozen times.

The APEX and ZXR were bolt compatible including the Fairlead/Hawse. However, the APEX was slightly wider than the ZXR, and I had added reinforcements to the back of my channel iron mount that needed to be slightly modified.

/ Truck winches #44  
Hmmm, I'll have to look at that. My ZXR negative cable lost an end, and was crumbling a bit. I think I over heated it some. For some reason I was driving it with jumper cables to the Harbor Freight cables. :)

When I started using the APEX, I also changed over to the APEX cables. I had to slightly enlarge the holes to fit the battery screw tops (Odyssey Battery). So far it seems to be holding up fine, but I've only used it a half dozen times.

The APEX and ZXR were bolt compatible including the Fairlead/Hawse. However, the APEX was slightly wider than the ZXR, and I had added reinforcements to the back of my channel iron mount that needed to be slightly modified.
I discovered my issue after trying to load a mower on my trailer and the steel cable was arcing to the trailer deck. After getting back home, started testing thinking the motor had shorted out, and discovered that the negative battery cable had no continuity. Couldn't even dead short arc it back to the battery. And was looking at the connector and seen some corrosion and was planning on putting a new end on, and started stripping back the insulation and ended up stripping the entire length and found white powder and crumbing wires to entire length.

/ Truck winches #45  
Is the Come Up model # 8274? I like 150’ of cable.
No, the 8274 is a Warn. They're rated at 8K but I've seen them pull more on a dyno...enough to break the 5/16" cable.

Those have been my go to winch for a long time, and I would've put one on the trailer, too, if it wasn't for their fast line speed. The no-load 65'/min is great, but even under load they're too fast for trailer use, I think.

/ Truck winches #46  
I have a local dealer who has their PTO winches in-stock. They also make electric. Military uses Ramsey.

I am seeing a lot of Warrior winches as oem, from trailer manufactures. They are also built for the military. They offer free shipping.

T1000 Severe Duty Winches

1702459807620.png

/ Truck winches #47  
Milemarker hydraulic winch has given good service for over 20 years. No repairs other than replacing worn out cable. Runs off power steering pump. Two speed greatly speeds up any winching chore. Don’t have to stop to cool, continuous duty. I’ll never go back to an Electric winch.

/ Truck winches
I definitely want to use the spot in my Ranch Hand for a winch. Ranch hand says it’ll hold up to an 18,500lb winch.

I wonder what happens to winches once they go over 18,500lbs? I guess they get too big? Or maybe the bumper is rated to 18.5K.

/ Truck winches #50  
I would love one, but I bet it would be $5,000 or more.
I have a PTO that I would really like to use, too.
Junkyard probably has some 5500 wreckers in it.