Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #371  
That’s more of a ditch cleaning machine. The wheeled excavators are just like a tracked excavator. I think the wheeled excavator is great for DOT’s because they can put a guy in it and drive it to and fro without a CDL.
Here in NY they are plated and if they weigh over 26k they may require a CDL to drive.
Most of the DOT guys here have a CDL so there are less limits of who can drive what.
The advantage of a wheeled excavator is that it doesn't require a separate truck and trailer to transport it from place to place.

Aaron Z

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #372  
Yep class A one the county had remember I saw in county days I believe it had a 10 speed? Couldn't imagine the "joy" of driving that relic above slow moving vehicle speeds.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #373  
Doesn’t work that way anymore. As of 2/1/2022 it is a federal requirement to get training from a certified training company. I called several yesterday. I said “I am sure that I have been driving my pickup and trailer longer than the instructor”. Doesn’t matter. 1 place said that since I have to pay it make no sense no to just get a restricted class A. There is no difference in training requirement. So just spend the few extra dollars and use their semi and get the full class a. $4800 and 4 weeks of class…
I'd like to chime in on the CDL thing. Go check out Ross Enterprises in Paris, MO. Last year (pre-ELDT) he was charging $700 for a day of training and the testing fees. If you just need the license and don't need the perks that schools use to try to sell you on themselves (like getting you hooked up with potential employees for the rest of your life) Nick Ross is the guy you need to talk to. When I tested in Oct '22, he said he could do the ELDT training in one day. Then do the actual pre-trip training and and maneuverability the next day. There is a motel a couple miles away so it makes it handy for out-of-area people. Folks come from all around to test there. (I'm from OH) He is working towards having his own tester on site. As of Oct '22, students went to a MO state facility to test about 45 min away. I was really glad to be able to get my Class A before the new regulations came into effect. But in talking to Nick, he made it sound like it's not going to be substantially more class time for now. Probably will be more requirements later, but for now, it still sounds like it wouldn't be as bad as going to a regular driving school.
One thing to note is that he does the training (pre-trip, maneuverability, road) in half a day. If you don't know anything about air brakes or how to shift gears comfortably, I'd recommend trying to get some seat time before you go. I used the CDL Prep app and that helped a lot to have a head knowledge of the pre-trip info. The more you know before you go, the more chance you have of passing. You can hardly learn everything in 5 hrs.
Also, (as of Oct '22) he said the price was going up when he started testing for ELDT. I think it was $1400 or 1500. Not as cheap as it had been, but still far cheaper than a regular truck school. I've been really happy with the way it worked. Especially how I was able to do the whole process in one day.
I had tried locally with a borrowed truck (semi) and trailer, but failed. For me, it was worth it to pay the fee there because I didn't have access to a truck or trailer. He has trucks and trailers, automatic or manual. You can go there and not have any restrictions on your license (5th wheel, automatic).

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #374  
There was a youtube channel i watched from England, duck..something, and it was a girl that ran one. She was incredible and it had a long floor bucket and a rotator. Man was(is) she good.

here she is, it looks like you have to go straight to youtube to watch. It’s worth it. Duckgirl86 haven’t watched her in a wile but dang is she good. Operates in socks..

Most of those operating videos that one included are sped up to make them look more impressive. One of those rotary tilt buckets would be nice but there’s a lot of money in that video. Outfitting the excavator with enough hydraulics to use it, buying the coupler and then buying enough attachments to make it worthwhile is all $$.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #375  
I'd like to chime in on the CDL thing. Go check out Ross Enterprises in Paris, MO. Last year (pre-ELDT) he was charging $700 for a day of training and the testing fees. If you just need the license and don't need the perks that schools use to try to sell you on themselves (like getting you hooked up with potential employees for the rest of your life) Nick Ross is the guy you need to talk to. When I tested in Oct '22, he said he could do the ELDT training in one day. Then do the actual pre-trip training and and maneuverability the next day. There is a motel a couple miles away so it makes it handy for out-of-area people. Folks come from all around to test there. (I'm from OH) He is working towards having his own tester on site. As of Oct '22, students went to a MO state facility to test about 45 min away. I was really glad to be able to get my Class A before the new regulations came into effect. But in talking to Nick, he made it sound like it's not going to be substantially more class time for now. Probably will be more requirements later, but for now, it still sounds like it wouldn't be as bad as going to a regular driving school.
One thing to note is that he does the training (pre-trip, maneuverability, road) in half a day. If you don't know anything about air brakes or how to shift gears comfortably, I'd recommend trying to get some seat time before you go. I used the CDL Prep app and that helped a lot to have a head knowledge of the pre-trip info. The more you know before you go, the more chance you have of passing. You can hardly learn everything in 5 hrs.
Also, (as of Oct '22) he said the price was going up when he started testing for ELDT. I think it was $1400 or 1500. Not as cheap as it had been, but still far cheaper than a regular truck school. I've been really happy with the way it worked. Especially how I was able to do the whole process in one day.
I had tried locally with a borrowed truck (semi) and trailer, but failed. For me, it was worth it to pay the fee there because I didn't have access to a truck or trailer. He has trucks and trailers, automatic or manual. You can go there and not have any restrictions on your license (5th wheel, automatic).

Tried to look him up on the registry and couldnt find him.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #376  
Most of those operating videos that one included are sped up to make them look more impressive. One of those rotary tilt buckets would be nice but there’s a lot of money in that video. Outfitting the excavator with enough hydraulics to use it, buying the coupler and then buying enough attachments to make it worthwhile is all $$.
I knew someone would bring up the speeding of vid. Of coarse it makes it more interesting, but can’t deny her skill of moving, rotating, tilting.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #377  

I can't comment on the registry thing. I'd get in contact with him and see what he says himself. There seems to be enough interest here that I thought some people might benefit from hearing about him.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #378  
Yea, you should probably read through the thread. Things have changed.

but, one thing you said..”Hauling my own stuff I don't need a yearly physical and the trailer does not need to be inspected”. Why are people safe hauling heavy loads when not for others?

why am I safe hauling 38k for farm without a cdl but not 30k for plumbing. we need to fix the broken and dilapidated fmcsa rules, and not for the benefit of uncle sugar.
You should have read my post above yours before telling me I should read the whole thread. If you had, you would have seen I replied to Eddie's change of direction.

As to changing the rules....who is safer...me hauling my own stuff or you hauling my stuff and me paying you. Your getting paid and the state makes sure you are hauling my stuff as safe as I would.

It's the same difference with vehicle insurance. I can do business with my truck and have a regular policy. But slap a sign on the truck door and now I need commerical insurance or get canceled after an accident. I am also now considered hauling commerical with my trailer and farm tag regulations don't apply.

CYA. That is why I got my CDL when I don't need it.

It is all about who is making the money.

When you say we need to change the rules. What do you propose to change? What do you change without hurting the farmer, yet keeping the public safe?
hugs, Brandi

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #379  
Can't do that anymore, have to take a $$$$$ class first.

Aaron Z
That right there sucks. Just last year that was enacted!
hugs, Brandi

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #380  
If you search by location for Paris MO he is the first result, or at least it was for me:
Screenshot_20230205-212755-799.png

Aaron Z