Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #361  
US Counties and municipalities used them for ditching. Probably find one pretty cheap at an auction?

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #362  
In Europe, high speed tractors are used as trucks. They pull dump trailers, flatbeds with lumber, and of course Ag products.
Then they can be used to push snow, too.

They are licensed there, but not here (yet). It’s a great loophole for someone wanting to pull a heavy trailer without a CDL

We need to do this more here.

I used a Mercedes Benz articulated one that was ~55Hp and tuned up to ~65HP in Germany on a dairy. I used to mow, work a dairy, vacuum pump and spread the manure pit, and similar activities.

That was one awesome tractor! I wish I could get one in the USA today. Those front mounted 3-pt mowers are really nice too! About the only tractors I see with them in the USA are French-built Massey Ferguson's that are >$200K new.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #363  
US Counties and municipalities used them for ditching. Probably find one pretty cheap at an auction?

I’ve never seen one for sale locally. If I saw one cheap and wasn’t an unreasonable distance to transport there’s a good chance I’d own one. Btw most auctions are charging buyers premium and sales tax which really hurts the good deal factor.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #364  
I didn't read this whole thread. Internet is acting up today.
Eddie,
Get a one ton dually (mine is a 2003 Cummins with no DEF fluid) and a 10 ton gooseneck. Then go down and take you commerical test (I did that for liability and grey areas and nosy officiers) and then get farm tags for your trailer. My truck does not have farm tags. Anytime I get pulled over with this rig, the only question the officer asks is................is this load for someone else or yours? I say for myself and they say have a nice day. My farm tags for the trailer are about $7.xx a year.

Hauling my own stuff I don't need a yearly physical and the trailer does not need to be inspected. But I always keep my equipment up to codes for liability reasons....and this year I can renew my license online.

You will find it isn't the max weight you will be hauling, but you will need lots of space if hauling a tractor and baler...........or twelve bales of hay.

I had a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins and a 20 foot lowboy gooseneck. It hauled the Mahindra with the loader and backhoe on it just fine. But when I got my grapple and wanted to haul that too, the trailer was just too small. and with the backhoe off and the 9 foot offset disc ..........I needed a 29 foot gooseneck. Even then the loader was sitting on the ramps.

After driving a 2002 Ram 2500 and a 2003 Ram 3500 dually, I will only buy dual rear wheels. My truck is chipped for an extra 100hp with a trans beefed up to handle that extra hp. My truck is not deleted.

hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #365  
I’ve never seen one for sale locally. If I saw one cheap and wasn’t an unreasonable distance to transport there’s a good chance I’d own one. Btw most auctions are charging buyers premium and sales tax which really hurts the good deal factor.
I'm talking about these with the extendable stick. I remember seeing similar but larger going for practically scrap prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-230544.png
    Screenshot_20230204-230544.png
    972.2 KB · Views: 60
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #367  
Eddie,
Those trailers would work. If you are only hauling round bales and tractors, lowboy trailers work. Triple axles scrub on tight turns. Also make sure more than one axle has brakes on it.
Now I read you are just gonna hire it out. That works too. But waiting on a truck can get frustrating. I hire out to haul my telehandler. The prices have been creeping up.
hugs, Brandi

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #368  
I didn't read this whole thread. Internet is acting up today.
Eddie,
Get a one ton dually (mine is a 2003 Cummins with no DEF fluid) and a 10 ton gooseneck. Then go down and take you commerical test (I did that for liability and grey areas and nosy officiers) and then get farm tags for your trailer. My truck does not have farm tags. Anytime I get pulled over with this rig, the only question the officer asks is................is this load for someone else or yours? I say for myself and they say have a nice day. My farm tags for the trailer are about $7.xx a year.

Hauling my own stuff I don't need a yearly physical and the trailer does not need to be inspected. But I always keep my equipment up to codes for liability reasons....and this year I can renew my license online.

You will find it isn't the max weight you will be hauling, but you will need lots of space if hauling a tractor and baler...........or twelve bales of hay.

I had a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins and a 20 foot lowboy gooseneck. It hauled the Mahindra with the loader and backhoe on it just fine. But when I got my grapple and wanted to haul that too, the trailer was just too small. and with the backhoe off and the 9 foot offset disc ..........I needed a 29 foot gooseneck. Even then the loader was sitting on the ramps.

After driving a 2002 Ram 2500 and a 2003 Ram 3500 dually, I will only buy dual rear wheels. My truck is chipped for an extra 100hp with a trans beefed up to handle that extra hp. My truck is not deleted.

hugs, Brandi
Yea, you should probably read through the thread. Things have changed.

but, one thing you said..”Hauling my own stuff I don't need a yearly physical and the trailer does not need to be inspected”. Why are people safe hauling heavy loads when not for others?

why am I safe hauling 38k for farm without a cdl but not 30k for plumbing. we need to fix the broken and dilapidated fmcsa rules, and not for the benefit of uncle sugar.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #369  
I'm talking about these with the extendable stick. I remember seeing similar but larger going for practically scrap prices.
I see those used by municipalities but not the wheeled excavators we were talking about. 2 different machines.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #370  
That’s more of a ditch cleaning machine. The wheeled excavators are just like a tracked excavator. I think the wheeled excavator is great for DOT’s because they can put a guy in it and drive it to and fro without a CDL.