Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #191  
The way I read it, you can drive a 25,999 truck with a 9,999 trailer and not need a CDL.

That means 35,998 rolling down the road on a standard license.

I will say it again, the best thing to do is find a buddy with a CDL size truck and just get your CDL. You can put all this worry behind you and just go about your business.
While I agree the requirements make no sense, you have to realize this stuff is created and regulated by people who probably have never driven anything more than a car.

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #192  
Ok in Colorado, I have called every testing place within 100 Miles of me. No one will do a class A driving Test. I wonder if I can get some government agency to give me a letter that the fact that pretty much 100% of all 1 ton trucks with trailers will require a CDL, they can’t support that.

Edit: was able to talk to someone that only gives class b and c. He indicated that all classes of CDL require a 4 week training class now. There is just no way…

In PA, what I did way back when was take a test through a private company that is licensed by the state to give CDL tests. You can pay them to train you, or just show up and take the test. Usually there’s school bus training or truck training places available.
I did the latter and passed my first try. It wasn’t terribly difficult.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #193  
While I agree the requirements make no sense, you have to realize this stuff is created and regulated by people who probably have never driven anything more than a car.
Back before the CDL federal guidelines and drivers had licenses from more than one state you didn't have pickup/trailer combinations in CDL class weight. My first license was a class A before A became D B became C C became B D became A.

But it could do with some updates like giving pickup/trailer setups over 26K their own classification.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #194  
The way I read it, you can drive a 25,999 truck with a 9,999 trailer and not need a CDL.

That means 35,998 rolling down the road on a standard license.

I will say it again, the best thing to do is find a buddy with a CDL size truck and just get your CDL. You can put all this worry behind you and just go about your business.
This is where I have issues.

I wouldnt mind getting a CDL-A.

The problem is I have never, and have no desire to drive an 18-wheeler. Dont care about air brakes, or how they work.....or how to inspect a semi trailer....or any of the stuff a CDL-A covers. Im just a damn redneck that wants to drive his dually with a GN trailer attached. This really shouldnt be this hard. I shouldnt have to spend thousands of dollars and go through schooling teaching me to drive a semi when I just want to drive a p/u with a trailer.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #195  
This is where I have issues.

I wouldnt mind getting a CDL-A.

The problem is I have never, and have no desire to drive an 18-wheeler. Dont care about air brakes, or how they work.....or how to inspect a semi trailer....or any of the stuff a CDL-A covers. Im just a damn redneck that wants to drive his dually with a GN trailer attached. This really shouldnt be this hard. I shouldnt have to spend thousands of dollars and go through schooling teaching me to drive a semi when I just want to drive a p/u with a trailer.
I hear ya, but it won’t costs thousands. Just get a buddy to train you, as I did, then take test. Test is in the hundreds of $. It’s a gubmit regulation thing that really can’t be avoided.

The nice thing I found is once I had it, I had people calling me asking me to haul stuff or drive trucks for them part time and I made much more money in return.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #196  
I hear ya, but it won’t costs thousands. Just get a buddy to train you, as I did, then take test. Test is in the hundreds of $. It’s a gubmit regulation thing that really can’t be avoided.

The nice thing I found is once I had it, I had people calling me asking me to haul stuff or drive trucks for them part time and I made much more money in return.
Not everyone has a "buddy" that has a big rig.....

But thats not the point. Why should I be mandated to be trained and tested to drive a "big rig" when all I want to do is haul some small equipment on a trailer behind a p/u

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #197  
My understanding is that no matter if you're commercial or not >26k combined gross weight requires a CDL per the Feds. Certain states have farm exemptions with limitations on range/load/etc.

I've heard that some law enforcement will cite for this if the summed gvw of the truck + trailer>26k even if you're empty. (Which imo is a gross misapplication of the law)

I don’t think think so. I think that is internet lore.

The below is what I went thru a few years back when I bought a boat and trailer.

Regarding a cdl, I am learning that there is one hell uv a gray area. I called the Wisconsin dmv. They told me that under 26000 lbs, don't worry. When i pressed them for written confirmation, they told me to call the State patrol as they would be the one ticketing me. I called the State patrol and they said I should be fine. I told them I need to be 100% clear and legal. They said they would check on it and call back. An hour later, they called and confirmed that it is not what you are towing that matters, it is the combined GVWR of the truck and what is being towed. If that number is over 26000 lbs, you MUST have a cdl. So, my truck is rated at 12500 lbs, boat trailer at 22000. No question, I need a cdl.
I did tell them that this is for personal use, no monitary gain.
By the way, my actual weight loaded is just a bit over 25000lbs. Again, the GVWR trumps the actual weight. So, I asked the nice officer if I could ask a question. Say the wife and I went out for dinner, each had one beer, and get stopped for a trafic violation. The officer smells beer on my breath and I blow under the legal limit. Will I get a ticket for dui? He says no. I then ask, if I tow my boat and I am under the 26000 lbs threshold, will I get ticketed for being over weight, even though I am not. He said yes! The reason being is that I could be. Damn, I gotta go study for my cdl.
Hmm. I'm thinking not so much "internet lore" and more on the reality side here

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #198  

Doesn’t work that way anymore. As of 2/1/2022 it is a federal requirement to get training from a certified training company. I called several yesterday. I said “I am sure that I have been driving my pickup and trailer longer than the instructor”. Doesn’t matter. 1 place said that since I have to pay it make no sense no to just get a restricted class A. There is no difference in training requirement. So just spend the few extra dollars and use their semi and get the full class a. $4800 and 4 weeks of class…

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #199  
Hmm. I'm thinking not so much "internet lore" and more on the reality side here
Nope not anymore. I think we’ll see what they are going to do about literally millions and millions of overweight violations that are on the road every day. Every local horse show, every county fair, a cop could sit by the diesel pump in my town and write a ticket without moving all day long. I see people pulling dual 7k axle bumper pull trailers all day. Every one of them on a 1 ton is a violation.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #200  
The below is what I went thru a few years back when I bought a boat and trailer.

Regarding a cdl, I am learning that there is one hell uv a gray area. I called the Wisconsin dmv. They told me that under 26000 lbs, don't worry. When i pressed them for written confirmation, they told me to call the State patrol as they would be the one ticketing me. I called the State patrol and they said I should be fine. I told them I need to be 100% clear and legal. They said they would check on it and call back. An hour later, they called and confirmed that it is not what you are towing that matters, it is the combined GVWR of the truck and what is being towed. If that number is over 26000 lbs, you MUST have a cdl. So, my truck is rated at 12500 lbs, boat trailer at 22000. No question, I need a cdl.
I did tell them that this is for personal use, no monitary gain.
By the way, my actual weight loaded is just a bit over 25000lbs. Again, the GVWR trumps the actual weight. So, I asked the nice officer if I could ask a question. Say the wife and I went out for dinner, each had one beer, and get stopped for a trafic violation. The officer smells beer on my breath and I blow under the legal limit. Will I get a ticket for dui? He says no. I then ask, if I tow my boat and I am under the 26000 lbs threshold, will I get ticketed for being over weight, even though I am not. He said yes! The reason being is that I could be. Damn, I gotta go study for my cdl.
Your analogy is pretty good. It is like getting a ticket for DUI coming out of the liquor store with a bottle. Because you can is not what our laws are about…