Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped

/ Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped
Everything is relevant at this juncture. My issue is more intermittent, but more poor running than good. Your post is good point to keep in mind, rule nothing out, but try the obvious and simplest first, thanks

/ Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped #12  
Some good tips here.
"Too little fuel" symptoms (caused by fuel filter, tank venting/vacuum problems, etc..) are very similar to (& sort of the same thing as) "too much air problems".*
Check for air leaks between carb and intake.

*Sort of like "too much gas problems" can be similar to "too little air problems".

More good points, after breakfast will take tips and work on tiller. Squirted carb cleaner around carb/intake gasket looking for surges, no soap. One thing for sure, we will be better informed, thanks

Well its over.. Big lesson learned. I removed jet as suggested, cleaned, air out and installed. Same problem EXCEPT fuel started coming out bowl vent and that indicated to me bowl full and needle stuck open.

Removed carb, looked in needle and seat....junk abounds. This kinda puzzles me cause gas clean, tank not bad and a new carb. I immediately rulled out .carb cause if was new.

When i took the bowl off the gasket kinda puffed full and could not be reused. Took gasket from old carb, installed bowl and carb. Backed off 1.5 turns, tiller fired. Fine tuned bowl jet and tiller is advancing on throttle fine. Big lesson, never trust something cause its new.

Thanks for all the replies, we are far better informed.

Respectfully, Butch

/ Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped #16  
Well its over.. Big lesson learned. I removed jet as suggested, cleaned, air out and installed. Same problem EXCEPT fuel started coming out bowl vent and that indicated to me bowl full and needle stuck open.

Removed carb, looked in needle and seat....junk abounds. This kinda puzzles me cause gas clean, tank not bad and a new carb. I immediately rulled out .carb cause if was new.

When i took the bowl off the gasket kinda puffed full and could not be reused. Took gasket from old carb, installed bowl and carb. Backed off 1.5 turns, tiller fired. Fine tuned bowl jet and tiller is advancing on throttle fine. Big lesson, never trust something cause its new.

Respectfully, Butch

Beenthere dunthat with a new Honda portable generator. Of course stale gas was blamed so no warranty. A hundred bucks later it magically runs.

/ Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped #17  

Respectfully, Butch

Is there a fuel filter before the carb? If not, install one. Prevents a lot of grit from getting to the carb from the tank.

I've also found that many times when I remove a carb, mess with the fuel lines, change a fuel filter, etc... it'll knock gunk loose that then gets to the needle and float.

Glad you found your problem. :thumbsup:

Appears to be oem filter in gas tank. I will recheck and put one in line if it looks shabby. Defintely running much better. thanks

Last edited:
   / Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped #19  
Yes it's well worth installing one of these generic fuel filters, as well as one of these fuel shutoff valves so you can run the carburetor empty before storage.

:drink:

Snap 2019-09-18 at 07.32.01.jpg Snap 2019-09-18 at 07.39.13.jpg

/ Troy Bilt Horse.....Stumped #20  
I've seen rubber fuel lines get soft and sucked flat enough to be a restriction on full fuel flow.