Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue

/ Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue #1  

stevewarner1957

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3830HST
I have a 1992 Horse Troy Bilt that I purchased new. It has the 8HP M8T Kohler engine. It has recently developed an issue of kickback when starting ( recoil start). It has broken the rope and pulled the rope out of the handle. It starts ok with no issues at times and runs well, but this is an ongoing issue with the recoil. Where should I look? The ACR system, flywheel key, spark plug, coil/ignition? I'm stumped

/ Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue #2  
The flywheel key is quick easy and cheap to check. The same with replacing the spark plug and freshening up the fuel. The problem with tillers is that one that is 17 years old can have 500 hours on it and the other 50. Where do you think you are at? Can you post some engine model and spec numbers. I would think that this is electronic ignition.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue
Tom
I’m guessing 200 hours or so. It has really been taken care of. Lots of oil changes as needed. I’m going to start with plug and get deeper as I need to. Info tag is not readable

IMG_2922.jpgIMG_2924.jpg

/ Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue #4  
I am thinking it is the M8 with spec number 301608 which uses the electronic ignition module ACR parts are obsolete so could be difficult to get camshaft parts if needed. I would flywheel key and or valve clearance to start. A valve clearance out of spec could disrupt the ACR if gap is too wide.

Ok. I’ll check. It’s amazing the M8 stuff is obsolete and still plenty of stuff for K models around. I think it is a timing issue because when it runs under no load it skips like an old distributor engine that’s to far advanced.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Kohler Engine Issue #6  
Had an engine several years ago that was kicking back. The keyway key was twisted, not sheared and it threw the timing off just enough to act up.

I put a CJ8Y plug in it, the book calls for RCJ8. I’m sure that won’t matter. I’ll check the key tomorrow

Well I took the crank nut off to inspect the key and it appears ok.
What next?
IMG_2938.jpg

I did not pull the flywheel. It looked perfect so I didn’t go deeper.